Sign in to follow this  
47clubcoup

windshield wiper vacuum

I just took my dash off my 47 LZ. It has two vacuum controls. One silver with a red w on it with two air ports in the back. The other just a black push and hold button with three air ports in the back. All with out vacuum lines. IM thinking the silver one turns them on or off, and the black one might run a vacuum antenna that I don’t have. Yes/no? Also can some one tell me the routing of the vacuum lines please? I have hyd windows, and one large and one small vacuum port on my windshield washer motor. My chassis parts catalog doesn’t help and my lightly filled service bulletin book doesn’t help. Any one know about how much a used one would cost and where I could get a complete one?

The "push-pull" vacuum switch with 3 ports is for the antenna. The wiper switch also has 3 ports but one port is smaller. This switch pulls up and turns to adjust the wiper speed. Your '47 probably has a vacuum reservoir tank under the right fender. A larger (3/8") hose from the intake manifold connects to the large port on the tank. a 1/4" hose from the tank connects to a 1/4" metal vacuum line on the firewall. This line goes thru the firewall where the electrical wiring bundle goes thru. Inside the car a 1/4" hose connects to the metal line. Under the dash, the hose then connects to a "Y". One hose from the "Y" connects to the center port of the antenna switch. The upper and lower ports of the antenna switch connect hoses to the antenna cylinder under the left fender. These hoses go thru the inner fender well behind the left kick panel.

The other hose from the "Y" connects to the wiper switch. A 1/4" hose connects from the wiper switch connects to the center port on the wiper motor. This is the main feed that operates the motor. A smaller hose connects from the switch to the small end port on the motor. This vacuum line is for "parking" the wipers when the switch is pushed "off"

You may find it easier to loosen the wiper and drop it a bit in order to attach the 2 hoses to it. The ports are on top and very hard to get to with the motor in place.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)