1929 Packard 6-40 Brakes

Guest Cricklewood

Guest Cricklewood

I have a 1929 Packard 6-40 Phaeton with "weak" brakes. I drove a 1920 Packard 6-33 sedan two weeks ago and purposely stomped on the brake pedal to see if I could lock up the wheels on a paved road - and they did lock and squeal on the pavement. I don't have a shop of my own to work in so I was wondering (a) if anyone can recommend a shop to take it to for brake work and (B) if anyone can comment on 1929 Packard braking and in particular 1929 Packard 6-40 braking. I know another 1929 Packard 6-40 will similarly weak braking and that owner thinks it's the best it can be. I think it's dangerous and don't want to continue to drive it like this. Yes, it does stop when you come to a stop sign or traffic light BUT you have to stay a good 100ft behind the car in front in order to be safe. So, can anyone help with a referral to a shop in the Tidewater (Norfolk, Virginia) area. Can anyone help with comments about Packard 6-40 braking. If I have to take the Packard out of the Tidewater area for brake service I will do it. Thanks. George Schuetz, Norfolk, VA. Home Tel: 757-228-3202.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

post-57374-143138592825_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cricklewood (see edit history)

My 1929 Packard 633 has very good brakes for its era and they are the same as your 640. I suggest you go to the "Packard Information" web site where you will find an excellent article on adjusting Packard Bendix Brakes. You can do it yourself preferably with a helper and basic tools. If they are still poor then I would strongly suspect that your car has the wrong lining material probably moulded linings that are only suitable for use with hydraulic brakes . Mechanical brakes cannot generate enough pressure for this material to grip. Mechanical brakes require softer higher friction woven linings. I got mine from a company that supplies friction materials for industrial and auto applications. Keep us posted.

Agree. These brakes are quite good when they are done right. My 640 roadster stops well. And my father had a 640 club sedan that had wonderful brakes, following a full shoe relining back in the 1960s by someone who knew what they were doing and had the right lining material.

George, I sent you an email with a recommendation of a very good mechanic....mechanical brakes are very good if set up and adjusted correctly, and very poor if not....call me Captain Obvious, Defender of the Already Known (that's what my son calls me!)....dc

• 1 month later...
Guest cben09

Just don't expect the same good braking while backing up,,!!! The servo action is directional,,haha, I like the 1925 set up better,,,,Ben