Rob J

What motor oil are you Nailhead guys using?

There are a lot of considerations beside "What the other guy is using."  How many miles on your engine?  Has it been rebuilt?  Have I owned the car since new and used the same oil?  What kind of oil did the original owner use?  How hot does my car run?  How much do I drive it?  How often do I run it at max rpm's for long periods of time?  When's the last time the bearings were inspected for discoloration or wear?  When did you last mic the crank and rod journals.  

What is the ambient air temperature in the garage (or outside) when you first start the car?

A lot of you mention the oils that you use, but do you actually know the ZZDP and Phosphate levels of those oils or are you just saying they're good because your engine is still running?  Have you talked to a tech rep at the producer?  If your engine has 120,000 miles on it and it runs hot, should you be using the same oil that an engine that has only 60,000 miles on it and runs at proper temperatures? 

Lots of things to consider.  There are a lot of articles to read and info to be digested before deciding on what's right for you and not for the other guy.

One of the latest articles that I read says that Shell Rotella Diesel oil is really good and not that expensive and not to let the word "diesel" mislead you.  A friend of mine who manages and Advance Auto Store told me a couple of years ago that he sells Rotella to a customer for his old Jeep Cherokee with the in-line 4.0 liter six.  It's used as a rural mail delivery vehicle and it had 450,000  miles on it at that time.  Never been overhauled; just regular oil changes using Rotella.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, Jojo65 said:

I was using the Valvoline racing oil but switched to the Lucas Hotrod oil. 

Can you tell us what the Zinc and Phosphate levels are for the Lucas Hotrod oil?

I just read the info on the 10W-30 and 10W-40 Lucas oils.  It states it has "high" levels of zinc, molybdemun, and phosphate.  The last sentence in the second paragraph says "not to be used in passenger cars" but says it's good for muscle cars, classics, and hot rods.  Which is it?

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I just read the info on the 10W-30 and 10W-40 Lucas oils.  It states it has "high" levels of zinc, molybdemun, and phosphate.  The last sentence in the second paragraph says "not to be used in passenger cars" but says it's good for muscle cars, classics, and hot rods.  Which is it?

They must mean on newer cat equipped cars. I think zinc kills OS2 sensors and cats. Poor wording on their part?

I'm going to use royal purple break-in oil. Motor only has about 200 miles on it. My understanding is breakin oil has lots of zinc. After about 1200 miles, probably switching to their synthetic. Been running it in my GF's Rav4 since it was new, it's up to 280k miles and no smoke or rattles. Seems to do ok.

1 minute ago, jsgun said:

They must mean on newer cat equipped cars. I think zinc kills OS2 sensors and cats. Poor wording on their part?

Very poor wording.  I use Mobil 1 High Mileage 10-W40.  It's right at the 1,000 ppm.  But Wally world sells it cheap; less than $25 for a 5 quart jug

1 minute ago, jsgun said:

I'm going to use royal purple break-in oil. Motor only has about 200 miles on it. My understanding is breakin oil has lots of zinc. After about 1200 miles, probably switching to their synthetic. Been running it in my GF's Rav4 since it was new, it's up to 280k miles and no smoke or rattles. Seems to do ok.

Biggest difference there is that your Rav4 has a roller cam in it and there's no real wear on a roller cam compared to a flat tappet cam.  Just make sure the zinc etc. in your daily oil has the needed  zinc and phosphate levels.  What works on modern engines ain't good for older engines.

OK Ed: Correct about Wal-Mart having a great price. And remember, Marvels is compatible with Mobile !..

WARNING WARNING WARNING.......if that carb is gettin' contamination from crap from an old tank you're pullin' that motor again!  Mitch

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:13 PM, RivNut said:

Can you tell us what the Zinc and Phosphate levels are for the Lucas Hotrod oil?

I need to get back to you on that.