fuel pump an carbs

47clubcoup

im having trouble with my car,it runs for a couple minutes then chokes out. Iv drained the tank and found little bit of trash,iv changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the in line filter.Im thinking that i need to rebuild the pump but cant find any info on the pump so i can get a rebuild kit. the modle #on the zepher carb is o6H . iv got a 47 lincoln club coup 12 cyl .Iv got a chassis parts catalogue but cant find any info. thanks for all youalls help. mike

Mike,

When you say the engine is choking out, I am assuming you mean it just simply stops running, if so here is what I would do. If it is actually choking out (meaning too much gasoline is going to the engine) then it is a carburetor issue.

I would disconnect the fuel line to the carburetor, place this line in a container and have someone turn the engine over. If you have a nice flow of gasoline into the container, then your fuel pump is probably ok. If you have no fuel being pumped, or the flow appears to be weak, then I would next disconnect the line into the pump from the gas tank, disconnect the line from the tank to the pump, then blow air through the gas line to make sure it is clear. You said you found some trash in the tank so make sure the supply line is clear.

If you have a clear line and the pump still doesn't supply fuel, then the fuel pump may very well need rebuilt, look in the sources section of this web site and you will find serveral vendors that can supply a kit to rebuild the pump. The new gasoline formulas play havoc with old rubber parts so it is very possible your pump may need rebuilt.

If you have a nice flow of fuel, then you need to look at the carburetor. If it hasn't been touched in years, it may be time to rebuild that as well. But first, check the fuel pump, then move onto the next step.

Tom

The fuel pumps are pure Ford so rebuild kits are available thru Mac's if you find that you need one. Some times loose and small particles will find there way into the carburetor and into one of the main jets or a small orifice.

One other thing to check is the flexible fuel hose that goes to fuel pump inlet. On post war Lincoln's the aftermarket fuel hoses seem to "kink" when making the loop from the 1/4" tank line to the fuel pump. If this happens the flow is restricted. The old original hoses made the "loop" ok but were prone to leaking air when they got old. I made a "loop" out of 1/4" copper tubing and slipped in between the 2 ends of a new fuel hose.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)