52' roadmaster brake shoe issues???

rapidride2

Hello,

I am in the process of replacing rear brake shoes on my 52' roadmaster. These shoes are the 2 1/4" width. These shoes were purchased from Bob's.

My question is that all 4 shoes for the rear they are "very nearly" the same size. Meaning i cannot tell which is the primary or secondary shoe. The width is correct at 2-1/4" but 2 of my shoes have 10-7/8" length of shoe on them and the other 2 have 10-3/4" on them. This is only 1/8" difference. This difference to me could be easily a margin of error when the shoes were bonded. I was expecting at least an inch or so of difference.

I called Bob's and they pulled about 3-4 boxes of shoes for my app. and they all measured out the same as well??? I am gonna call tomorrow to hopefully they can clarify what is going on...

Is this normal in aftermarket shoes? Or could all of Bob's brakes be boxed wrong? Any other possibilities?

Thanks to all who reply. Matt.

P.S. The shoes in the pics were cocked a tad when the pic was snapped. They both have the same amount of lining.

post-71387-143138587313_thumb.jpg

Edited by rapidride2 (see edit history)

What about the inked codes on the edge of the friction material? Color of the friction materials, too? Those letter codes are, as I recall, supposed to have some meaning as to friction characteristics and composition . . . not just "date code" type stuff.

I looked in Rock Auto and found out that the front brakes fit LOTS of other Cadillacs and even some 1970 3/4 ton GM pickups! This was the 12x2.50" fronts. Rear 12x2.25" had "Buick only" applications, but went up to 1970 full-size Buicks.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

What about the inked codes on the edge of the friction material? Color of the friction materials, too? Those letter codes are, as I recall, supposed to have some meaning as to friction characteristics and composition . . . not just "date code" type stuff.

I looked in Rock Auto and found out that the front brakes fit LOTS of other Cadillacs and even some 1970 3/4 ton GM pickups! This was the 12x2.50" fronts. Rear 12x2.25" had "Buick only" applications, but went up to 1970 full-size Buicks.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

All shoes have ts-2100ff stamped on the side of the linings.

Well,

I called Bob's today and talked to a different person. He stated that for whatever reason the aftermarket is now putting the same composition and same amount of lining on both shoes.

In other words there is no difference between the 2 shoes.....:confused: