Sign in to follow this  
Jesture4

1941 Cadillac Convertible restore?

Hello all. I have access to a very beat up 1941 Cadillac convertible. It was in a flood and has spent the last 30 years sitting in a garage in upstate NY. Is this worth restoring? It was my grandfathers and I think it would be nice to bring back to its original condition. I do however have a limited budget and cant get caught in a money trap. Thanks for all responses.

As you describe it the car is a money trap by definition but it all depends on how you define "worth". Worth it money wise? Highly unlikely. Worth it as part of your family history and heritage? No one but you can answer that.

If you could post photos that would help members beable to advise you better. BEat up has many different degrees of damage and if it was flooded then left in damp storage then it's bad but if it was flooded and properly dried out and got running then that is a huge difference.

I agree pictures would be helpful.

Jesture4 should also take a look at the nearby Restoration Agreement thread. If you are thinking about HAVING this car restored your cost to have it done by someone good will easily surpass $100,000, if that is a gauge of a limited budget or money trap. But it would be criminal to give this car to someone NOT capable of doing a proper job because 1941 Cadillacs are fantastic old cars.

Those '41 Cadillacs are loaded with die cast chrome. Just get a quote on the rechroming and I bet your decision will be made quickly.

They are very nice drivers. I like them. I am near Rochester and travel the state all the time.

Bernie

You could set a goal of restoring the car to "DRIVER" status, and not necessaril;y to "show-quality".

We enjoy the heck out of ours !!

post-54863-14313858745_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138587458_thumb.jpg