Re-posting my '52 Buick Super Convertible

retirednow

Photos 1-2 -notes for me so I remember how to re-assemble (Hose closest to pass. dr. to thermostat housing Short top hose to core; bottom hose clips underneath housing. Nuts to cable fasteners facing out) Photo 3- heater core housing and core removed. I will not be removing any large parts for a while til I re-organize the garage-throw out lawn mower, snowblower, and any other unnecessary c%$# Photo 4- Anybody know where this wire plugs into? I found it loose after removing core housing It runs from the coil, along the engine and then along the cowl.

post-71610-143141940976_thumb.jpg

post-71610-14314194099_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143141941003_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143141941015_thumb.jpg

Edited by retirednow (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

Dave, I have a wire just like that on mine. I can't remember where it runs to and I'm at work right now. I'll be working on my car today so I'll be sure to check for you.

Hi retirednow, congratulations and good luck with the restoration. I'm about to begin with a Super '47 convertible restoration. Thank your post, I knew where is the hyd pump located. I've suscribed this trhead, so keep posting.

Nahuel

Guest shadetree77

Mike, I think you called it. I looked at mine today and mine doesn't come from the coil. It comes out of the firewall next to the engine and runs along the firewall. I'm pretty sure that wire goes to the defroster motor that is inside the ventilation tube.

Dave, if yours is on the coil maybe someone added a wire like that to it (or put the wrong one on there). There should only be two wires on the coil and neither one is supposed to have one of those plastic connectors on it. One goes directly into the side of the distributor. The other goes to the ignition switch.

post-71610-143141945075_thumb.jpgOK, upon closer examination, I see that the coil wire to the ignition goes into the harness. This wire, which is the same thickness, pops out near where the coil wire went in, leading me to believe they were the same wire. The wire heading straight left in the photo is the wire in question. The wire coming from underneath next to it is the wire out of the coil. It could very well be for the little motor in the tube, but those wires are both cut. Thanks again guys! Edited by retirednow (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Photo 1-Scraping loads of red clay from Pass. side suspension, cross-member and frame. Unfortunately, this car spent a lot of time sitting in a field somewhere in the south. (I know the 2 most recent previous owners live in Va.) Photo 2-radiator out. Photos 3, 4, and 5- STARTING to look a little better. Photo 6 -Drivers' side awaits. Photo 7- A good e-bay score arrived today-both upper grill bar ext. $60 for the pair .:D Scraping and cleaning is pretty much what I'll be doing all summer. Then after getting a oil pan gasket (where to get anyone?), I'll drop the pan, clean, re-assemble, and attempt to fire her up. Ok, back to scraping...

post-71610-143141971821_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143141971836_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143141971849_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143141971862_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143141971874_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143141971887_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143141971901_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

I have heard that you can sometimes find one at NAPA. I didn't have any luck with my local NAPA and when I tried to order one from their online thing my order got canceled and refunded due to lack of availability. I ended up ordering mine from CARS or Bob's. Don't remember which. Man, looking at those pictures makes my back ache!! What are those block looking things in between the coils of the springs? Mine didn't have anything like that.

Thanks guys, I'll try local before checking CARS and Bob's. I don't think those block-like things are supposed to be there. My guess is they keep the full weight off of the springs during storage? As far as my back goes, I try to alternate between working on top for a while and going underneath on the creeper. Kinda like circuit training lol

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new on this Forum and not sure if I do everything correctly. I started to restore my 1949 Buick Super Convertible. There are 2 quarter windows which are powered by hydraulic cylinders. Both have gone so I don't know if they had also springs like in the front door?

However, upon looking at my interchange book, I can see that there is indeed a quarter window regulator spring for your '49. Many other makes will interchange with it. These springs will fit your '49- Buick '49-'54, '48-'49 Caddy conv., '49-'53 Caddy, '48-'54 Hudson, '49-'51 Lincoln conv. and Cosmopolitan, '49-'51 Mercury, '48-'49 Olds. 98 conv., '50-'54 olds., and '47-'51 Packard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

1- picked up a "holy grail" piece that I've been looking for for 3 yrs. Rear view mirror mount (fits convertibles only and almost impossible to find) 2- Also purchased and installed a better steering wheel horn rim 3- After a little elbow grease, finally found the engine # 4-Blue paint starting to appear More scraping and de-greasing to continue today

post-71610-143142189835_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143142189851_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143142189862_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143142189874_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

Dave, I'd hit the "like" button here but it seems to have disappeared. Anyway, consider that post LIKED.:) Great feeling to finally get ahold of those "holy grail" pieces isn't it? I felt the same way when I won a hard fought EBAY auction for my mustache bar.

• 1 month later...

Not much to show today in photos. Got a lot more crud removed-mostly from the underside of the car. Removed some of the drivers' side fender bolts so my stepson can help me remove the remaining 3/4 nose off of the car. Driver side bolts much easier to get at as no hydraulic pump to deal with there.

Photo 1- Pass side suspension and frame rail much cleaner now Photo 2- engine needs more attention, but getting there-need to get some smaller brass brushes. Photos 3&4- been concentrating on the crossmember and drivers side suspension the last couple of days. When the clay soil is removed, shiny black paint and metal is revealed- seemed to preserve it almost. My oil burner guy (a late 60's Mustang guy) surmises that given the large amount of clay on the underside that it must have taken at least a few laps around a dirt track Hmmm... Photo 5- underside of car. Much more needed here. My short term plan plan is to get the front of car from cowl forward as clean as possible and fire up engine by next spring. Then, in the summer out it goes for floor, rocker, and trunk pan replacement. Deferred that expensive stuff for tax reasons as I turn 59 1/2 next July

post-71610-143142247079_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143142247095_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143142247107_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143142247121_thumb.jpg

post-71610-143142247134_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Retired,

Just catching your thread, and have a comment to make that will get me boo'd...lol..but I'm jealous that yours is a convertible! I have a 52 Buick Super 4 door that I'm slowly getting started on, so I know how great every car is, but the thought of mine being a rag top is a good thought! BUT>......I'll just keep the windows down if I ever get mine started, and be happy for that! Good luck, and look forward to your progress sir!

Dale in Kentucky (Dale's Buick)

Well, I'm jealous of your floors and trunk pan - I have none lol. There are several others here working on '51 and '52s that have great info on their threads-especially Robert (shadetree77). I have looked at your thread as well. You have a great car to start with- enjoy!!

Retired' date='

Just catching your thread, and have a comment to make that will get me boo'd...lol..but I'm jealous that yours is a convertible! I have a 52 Buick Super 4 door that I'm slowly getting started on, so I know how great every car is, but the thought of mine being a rag top is a good thought! BUT>......I'll just keep the windows down if I ever get mine started, and be happy for that! Good luck, and look forward to your progress sir!

Dale in Kentucky (Dale's Buick)[/quote']

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest huskerman

Hi Dave. Just found the thread for your project; she's a beauty with lots of potential! Also, enjoyed reading about your memories going to the beach in your uncle's Buick Super. Very special indeed. Glad you were able to get a vehicle like his.:) It's before my time, but I romanticize about taking one of these to the drive-in movie back in the day. Those must have been some really fun times!

Jeff