My Riv is now Gold

Guest Kahuna28

Guest Kahuna28

Well this all started by me wanting to fix a few small dents and scratches that have developed being my DD in SoCal for years. With all the traffic and tiny parking spaces in SoCal it's nearly impossible not to get these... Anyway, a friend convinced me to try the Gold color I've been talking about for years (I never understood why GM didn't offer a true gold for the 1st gen rivs!!). "Just prep and patch it as is, and hit it with just a base coat, that way you can live with it before you spend all the time and money on a real strip to metal paint job.."

Well that's what we did. Here's the '65 in GM anniversary gold base coat (This was a color offered on the '63 impalas). I really like the contrast with the brightwork and the color is perfect for the riv, they really shoulda offered it imo.:D

post-59499-14313858486_thumb.jpg

post-59499-143138584864_thumb.jpg

post-59499-143138584868_thumb.jpg

post-59499-143138584871_thumb.jpg

post-59499-143138584874_thumb.jpg

Guest Kahuna28

When I do a final paint job, it will probably be gloss (This matte finish is really growing on me though!). Because I didn't take it down to steel (It's been repainted 3 times!!), there where too many imperfections in the finish to do a top coat. The gloss would have just highlighted these so I decided not to use it after I saw how the gold looked over the body work. The gold is so thin you really have to have perfect body work under it... For now it's done, I'm going to have fun with it as is, just drive it...

Guest Kingoftheroad

While I'm not a fan of gold paint, the car looks great !!

Besides, like you said, not having a perfect car has its advantages !

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

Guest nickdaytona

Nice ! How much of a drop is that ? I have a 3" Jamco that I haven't installed yet and if it's 3" then Holy Sh!t !

Nick

Guest Rob J

That thing looks bitchin'. Me likes.

That color seems similar to Sahara Mist which was offered in 65, and is the color of my 65 Riv GS I'm restoring.

I think Gold suits these cars very well.

I've always liked a shot from this angle.

92642d1309710266-my-riv-now-gold-riv4.jpg

I like the gold, too. Mine was originally goldish. It's red now but I want to do a silver interior. I don't think I want it silver N gold. :)

If it's just basecoat, it won't last long without something over it. I used some clear from the local paint shop. It was called X-Treme Klear Koat #5165 and it's a flat clear that will seal the paint. It will also be easier to wash. Don't forget to shake it up first. It has an additive that is a flattening agent that has to be mixed thoroughly, ask me how I know. :D You'll also have to scuff up the gold with a scotchbrite first.

You'll keep it flat longer than you think... It looks so cool! Nice ride.

I was wondering about the height also. Is it springs or bags? I also ordered 3" springs from Jamco - haven't received them yet.

Guest Kahuna28

Thanx for the positive feedback, been cruising around all day and it really gets attention!! No, it's not the Jamco it's air lift autopilot setup. It's a bolt on setup no frame mods needed. I got about 11" of travel so I think it's about a 6 or 7 inch drop. (Also I am running 235 tires (I bought them before the bags) but I tried out a set of 215's and the ride height got about 1/2" lower.. just fyi) You definately wouldn't want to drive it over 30 at this height unless you're at the salt flats:eek: You'd also get hung up on a speedbumb!! That's what sold me on the bags, I like having the option of ride height..

Rob J, I do like the Sahara Mist and it's definitely the closest to gold, (I can't wait to see your gs finished), but ever since I saw a fully restored '63 impala SS in anniversary gold, I couldn't get that color out of my head. WHy GM offered a classy color like that for chevy and not buick, I don't get it..

mt65, yeah I know this won't last as long without a topcoat. I also painted the lower dash and center console gold WITH a clearcoat for that reason. It wasn't until we were in the booth that I decided not to use the gloss clear I had purchased on the body. Now, (because I am really liking the satin finish) I have to decide if it's worth pulling trim off, re-taping the rest, scuffing up the paint and buying the flat top coat:( Again this all started with fixing a few scratches!!

Never done.... these cars are never done:D....

Aaron

Edited by Kahuna28 (see edit history)

A couple of weeks ago at a car show with my sahara mist 65, a 63 anniversary gold Impala parked next to me. When by itself sahara mist looks really gold, but there was quite a difference when next to anniversary gold. Sahara mist kind of paled out.

I like the flat look and I admire those who are willing to try something different. Thanks for sharing.

Well this all started by me wanting to fix a few small dents and scratches that have developed being my DD in SoCal for years. With all the traffic and tiny parking spaces in SoCal it's nearly impossible not to get these... Anyway, a friend convinced me to try the Gold color I've been talking about for years (I never understood why GM didn't offer a true gold for the 1st gen rivs!!). "Just prep and patch it as is, and hit it with just a base coat, that way you can live with it before you spend all the time and money on a real strip to metal paint job.."

Well that's what we did. Here's the '65 in GM anniversary gold base coat (This was a color offered on the '63 impalas). I really like the contrast with the brightwork and the color is perfect for the riv, they really shoulda offered it imo.:D

Love it, love it, love it. One of my favorite colors on a great car. I had a 63 Impala in this color and always liked it. I agree that it should have been offered from Buick. The lines of the Riviera are great for this color.

Guest Kahuna28

Jims65, I'd love to see a pic of the 2 colors side by side if you took any!! I was able to compare the two paint chips, but they aren't exactly accurate.... I appreciate the compliment but I'm not really taking many chances, I'm just goin for a Riviera prototype look, or WWBD (what would Bill (Mitchell) do;)). Just tryin to use what would be available in the early '60s, like using the '64 dash. If you missed my post on that here it is.. http://forums.aaca.org/f177/64-dash-65-how-can-work-303070.html

bb1970 and steelman thank you!!

I've had good luck with single stage urethane-done on a couple cars years ago and holds up just fine. I had a '67 cat in "Riviera Gold"-I think that's the first year they offered it-seemed a fairly 'faded' gold to me, but I liked it. I have a 225 in Sahara Mist-also a nice color, but I never thought of it as gold somehow. I had a '80 Rx-7 in Solor Gold-it was a moderate metal flake used only on the Rx-7 and only one year. It was a very hardy gold and was really something on a sunny day-pretty rare to see such a color on a car-custom or not. Kahuna-Nice job-I like the way you think! Dan Mpls. Mn.

I didn't have a camera with me that day. I have a friend with an anniversary gold Impala who lives about ten miles away. I'll give him a call this week and see if he has dug his car out of storage yet. If he has, I'll get a picture for you.