1975 olds 442 build sheet 455cui?

Guest 70monte

Guest 70monte

hey was wondering if some one could help me in my search for a build sheet in my 1975 olds 442.Ive allready checked the back seat upper and lower. perhaps under the front buckets? All so how too tell if the motor is a 455?

And perhaps what the thing is worth buddy of mine needed it off his property.

any help would be greatly apreciated.

Sometimes you may find a build sheet under the carpet or above the glove box (under the dash and on top of the cardboard box). I have seen them under front seats, too.

My 62 Pontiac's was stuffed in-between the headliner bows inside of the headliner and roof. My 69 LeMans (I'm original owner) was stuffed in the wiring harness of the dash. My 76 Olds (I'm the original owner) never came with one. I suspect someone did away with it on the PDI. Point is it could be anywhere.

D.

Finding a build sheet in an Olds, especially one built in Lansing, is hit-or-miss. I've owned two dozen Oldsmobiles in the last 35 years and so far I've found exactly one build sheet. By the way, that was in a Framingham, MA car and was on top of the gas tank.

In 1975, the VIN will tell you what engine was originally installed. The casting number on the block above the water pump (where the oil fill tube is located) will tell you what displacement is in the car today.

Guest Donovan Brooke
hey was wondering if some one could help me in my search for a build sheet in my 1975 olds 442.Ive allready checked the back seat upper and lower. perhaps under the front buckets? All so how too tell if the motor is a 455?

And perhaps what the thing is worth buddy of mine needed it off his property.

any help would be greatly apreciated.

On '75's they are usually on top of the gas tank. Contrary to what others have said, I don't think you can tell the engine size by the VIN... I have an original GM vin card and it appears the "T" refers to either the 292ci,350ci,as well as both 455cu. So yea, finding the original build sheet would be nice.

If your buddy needs it off his property, post some pics, I may buy it from you. ;-)

Donovan

Contrary to what others have said, I don't think you can tell the engine size by the VIN...

Sorry, but you need to learn how to read the VIN card. Here's the one for 1975:

http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard75.pdf

Note the RH column in Section 5 (representing the fifth character of the VIN). That column refers to "Division". Oldsmobile is 3. Than means that only the engine options with the number "3" next to them in the RH column apply to Oldsmobiles.

Per that VIN card (and your example), under VIN code T, only the V8 455 190 HP 4bbl engine has a "3" in the division column, indicating that for Oldsmobiles, the letter T designated this engine. The V8 455 205 HP engine has a "4" next to it, indicating that this code was used by Buick. Interesting that both the 292 L6 and the 350 V8 have a "1" (Chevy). I'm guessing that this means there was a mid-year reassignment of that letter to the different engine option. In any case, all the engine codes used by Oldsmobile are completely unambiguous.

• 1 month later...
Guest Donovan Brooke

Joe,... a little late, but wanted to say that I stand corrected. You are right, I wasn't reading the card correctly.

The funny thing is that your correction triggered a memory.... it seems I knew how to read the card at one time.. I must be getting old. ;-)

The car I had of that year was the 'K' code engine. All those engines were dumbed down (from the oil crisis) when stock, but my 350 was only 20 HP less than the 455 of that year. It was a fun car.

Cheers,

Donovan