Rechroming job

Guest cargeek2014

Guest cargeek2014

Does anybody know of a good, yet cheap, place to get parts rechromed? I've been looking around and can't really find somewhere that looks good, but is still on the cheap side.

Thanks

It might be good to know in what area you are located, and assume you would want to see the shop. Also, are you talking about small parts or large pieces such as bumpers. EPA has seen to it that very few are cheap. Some ship to Mexico or Canada. Good luck, Quality is not cheap. You will usually get what you pay for.

John

Guest cargeek2014

I am in the northern Indiana, and it's smaller parts. A hood ornament, and some interior trim. The bumpers are surprisingly in good shape, I believe. I'll have to have a more in depth look at them.

Guest DuaneK

I had a diecast Dodge hood ornament and fenderskirt trim restored and chrome done at Custom metal Finishing Indiana, LLC. 9705 state road 38 Hagerstown, In. phone (866) 489 4089. They did a great job and I had them back in 2 weeks. Building is not much to look at, but looks aren't everything.

Duane

Good and cheap are mutually exclusive in the chrome business, unless it's something relatively flat and simple like bumpers. For instance, a hood ornament with a lot of detail will either come back devoid of much of its features (cheap) or be beautifully done with pretty crisp details (not cheap).

The chrome business is one place where you definitely get what you pay for. Fast, cheap, or well done--pick two.

Guest cargeek2014
done at Custom metal Finishing Indiana, LLC. 9705 state road 38 Hagerstown, In.

How much did this cost? I've seen their website, but I couldn't find a price.

They probably don't put prices on their website. It's impossible to quote a job that requires a lot of labor without knowing how much work is involved, so they can't just give you a flat price without seeing the parts first. Many shops will attempt to give you a quote from photos, however. I'd call a few and see what their policies are and see how they would prefer to quote the job. There's no such thing as a "standard" job with this kind of handiwork, so they'll probably be all over the place in terms of price. Just remember there's a reason for that, too...

Guest DuaneK

The hood ornament was $175, Trim was $125 ea. EPA/stripping fee $43.

These parts were pitted, which required stripping and filling the pits with silver solder.

Duane

Edited by DuaneK
added text (see edit history)

Guest cargeek2014

Yeah most of the parts I have pitted pretty badly, and I'm not real sure why?

Question: Why do chrome parts pit?

Guest bofusmosby

I would assume that moisture gets trapped under the chrome into the base metal, and basically it carrodes from the inside-out. If the chrome were to be stripped off, all the pits showing would be long-term damage done.

Just my opinion though.