Different areas of the country

Guest Dust

So I have been doing a lot of researching vehicles and have found that different areas of the country seem to have vehicles that aren't as available in my area. Right now I am in Rochester, MN and have seen vehicles I don't think I have ever seen before. Maybe I have and just never paid as much attention. Wish I was capable to car shop, but I am at the Mayo Clinic and they have you skipping building to building for appointments. Unfortunately I will have to stay through the holiday, but there will be no appointments so maybe I can get out and about some. My wife wants to go back to see the bridges of madison county. We'll have to see how that works out since I have agoraphobia and it's hard for me to wonder around very far.

Anyway, do you all see the car situation the same? Seems like I have seen cars other than just old fords and chevy's up here.

I am pretty certain that your question about the different cars in different areas can be answered by which dealerships were near what areas. A lot of trucks are sold in rural areas, a lot of high priced cars are sold in high priced cities and so forth.

If you're talking about older cars, then weather and climate would have a lot to do with seeing different vehicles in different areas of the country. I suppose the same might apply to newer cars as well, depending on demographics / age of the population.

Sorry I got off track in my rambling. Yes I am speaking about old cars. Never even considered the weather being a reason for more closed cars.

I have observed this too. When I was learning the world of Alfa Romeos I found there seemed to be pockets of heavier Alfa activity such as San Francisco and Boston. Probably went back to especially active dealers in certain areas when the cars were new, I guessed.

Likewise, when I go to the big Iola WI car show (coming up next week) I always find lots of Buick activity in Wisconsin (and Minnesota to a lesser degree). Would be interested in hearing more from everyone, Todd

Your comment about: My wife wants to go back to see the bridges of Madison County. Winterset is the county seat of Madison County & 40 miles south west of Des Moines. Your wife should enjoy site seeing the area. http://www.madisoncounty.com/index.php?page=the-bridges

July 1st - 3rd, at the fairgrounds on the east side of Des Moines, The Good Guys car show will be held with many antique but mostly hot rods on display. http://www.heartlandnats.com/

An interesting side trip is to Pella, just 40 miles east of Des Moines. Very important, do not go on Sunday or a holiday, everything is closed! This is the boyhood home of Wyatt Earp until he was 12. The have a square block historical area of homes and history to visit.

But they one of the finest bakeries in the country. It is on the center of the south side of the square and opens at 6:00 AM. If you are into pastries, this is well worth the side trip. https://www.jaarsmabakery.com/

Jaarsma Bakery, Inc.

727 Franklin Street

Pella, Iowa 50219

Edited by huptoy (see edit history)

You will also see different variations of the same car in different areas of the country.

I've noticed that Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs from New England or the Upper Midwest are often very basic cars with few if any options. The same cars here would have had at the minimum automatic transmission, power steering and brakes, and an interior trim upgrade, plus maybe one or two "gadgety" options like power windows/seats or tilt steering. The mid-price dealers left the basic transportation market to Ford, Chevy and Plymouth.

Even AMC/Rambler were optioned a little "upscale" here compared to some others. The fact that the AMC dealer also had a Mercedes franchise might have had something to do with that. I guess his reasoning was if someone couldn't swing buying a Benz, they might be able to swing buying a nicely optioned Rambler and he wouldn't lose a sale to Olds/Pontiac/Dodge.