(HELP)mounting clincher tires

spikeman

What best way to mount a clincher tire on a tire ring that fits on a Willys Overland wood wheel? I can not get the tire to stretch over the ring because it(tire) is to hard and thick. What did they use in 1916? Even a tire shop couldn't do it.

Make sure you have the right size tire for the rim. For example, a 32 x 4 tire is calculated (32 minus 2 times 4) to fit a 24 inch rim. A 34 x 4 (34 - 2x4 = 26) a 26 inch rim.

Now that you've determined you have the correct tire, make sure the tire is warm, not cold. Some people put the tire out in the sun for a while to heat them up.

Then, apply lots of iron and elbow grease, stretching first one side of tire on rim, then the other, all the while making sure that inner tube doesn't get pinched.

I've also heard of people taking a tire that's mounted on a rim, that's the outside diameter of the inside diameter of the tire you want to mount, and inflating it inside the larger tire to stretch the cord.

Good luck....

We've mounted many clincher tires over the years and some can be a real pain. With that said, one of the best tools that I've come across to ease the pain is a set of the tire irons that are made and sold by Paul (Bud) Jonas from Michigan. He's come up with a new design that really does make the job a whole lot easier. I've found that the Universal brand straight rib design tires are among the easiest new tires to mount, seems that they are a bit softer and have more elasticity in their beads. If you're dealing with older/harder tires it's very important that your get them as warm as possible. Make sure that your rim is as clean and smooth as possible. We like to paint the inner surface of the rims before mounting tires with a smooth or gloss enamel, which seems to help. Finally, wipe a thin film of diswashing liquid onto the rim edges AND the tire beads. Some folks mix it with warm water for more suds. Whatever works best for you. Either way it does help, and is and easy clean-up with plain water once you're done.

We've mounted many clincher tires over the years and some can be a real pain. With that said, one of the best tools that I've come across to ease the pain is a set of the tire irons that are made and sold by Paul (Bud) Jonas from Michigan. He's come up with a new design that really does make the job a whole lot easier. I've found that the Universal brand straight rib design tires are among the easiest new tires to mount, seems that they are a bit softer and have more elasticity in their beads. If you're dealing with older/harder tires it's very important that your get them as warm as possible. Make sure that your rim is as clean and smooth as possible. We like to paint the inner surface of the rims before mounting tires with a smooth or gloss enamel, which seems to help. Finally, wipe a thin film of diswashing liquid onto the rim edges AND the tire beads. Some folks mix it with warm water for more suds. Whatever works best for you. Either way it does help, and is and easy clean-up with plain water once you're done.

Any chance we could get a price and contact info on Mr. Jonas's tools?

Howard Dennis

This Willys Overland 75 came with 31x4 clincher tires but they had rotted from sitting so I bought some that had been stored away for awhile and that is why they are so hard. I'll set them in the sun to soften them someday when we don't have rain(western washington state). My father told me when he was a kid on a farm he had to put a clincher tire on a willys rim and it took him most of the day and all he used was tire irons but he heated the tire up in a tub of hot water over a fire. An old timer told me the local Blacksmith would just forge heat the tire. I just need the right tools to get it to go on.

Older tires, even though "new" and never used, will always be very, very difficult to mount on a clincher rim.

I purchased some of the all white 30x3 tires, that were made by Coker in Vietnam about 15 or 20 years ago (I think I have these facts straight). They were "new", but man, were they hard to mount on my Huppmobile.....a couple of hours each, and that's with two of us....

The problem with using any soap or other material to help it on is that you'll invariably scratch the rim down to bare steel, and the moisture will make it rust.

I once used electrician's goo to mount a tire, it's made to dry, it's the stuff they use for pulling wires through conduit. I'd use that before detergent.

Don't forget to have a supply of bandaids on hand, and make sure no minor children are within earshot. Have fun, though, old cars are great!

There are a few tricks: put tire out in the sun until it's hot, use liquid soap on it and have a helper on hand using at least 3 tire irons between you. You can combine this with the trash bag idea. I've used it with success. The newer tires are made softer to help with installation, though this makes them quicker to wear.

Phil

Knew an old timer who built a model T hot rod when he was a kid in the 2Os. He couldnt afford tires so he got used ones, usually off the junk pile in back of garages, they would be stiff and hard so he would soak them in a pond for a few days. If he had no tubes he would stuff the tires with hay, he could drive around until a tire went flying off the rim and whizzed into the ditch lol.

Maybe soaking the tires in water will help. If you have good tubes and inflate them they may even stay on the rims lol.