Temp sending unit?

Guest moodier

Guest moodier

Just a question here.My 48 has a 54 Cad engine apparently done long ago!My question is the temp gauge is off quite a little,I am thinking if could get one for the LIncoln and install on the Cad motor maybe get a more accurate reading as the Cad one probably not very compatible with the Lincoln considering it is a 12 volt motor,imagine thes ending unit was meant for 12 volts and don't know how compatible it is with the Lincoln 6 volt system!Kind of superised it works at all!Any one deal with this on there cars??Thanks!

What about the rest of the dash gauges? Are they reading properly? If they are someone probably has already provided a voltage dropper to the instruments. The oil pressure gauge ,gas gauge and temperature gauge are all "ganged" together and receive the same feed voltage. If this circuitry hasn't been changed then a Lincoln or Ford 6 volt sender should work.

Guest moodier

Hi:thanks for the replies!Actually the car has a series parrell switch in the system so is actually operating on 6 volts only 12 volts to the motor for starting!

Guest moodier

Trying to figure out it appears that at least Ford used 2 sending units one in each head I assume these wyld be the same as ford?I can't find them listed for the Lincoln in any of the sources!If they also used 2 can I use one and hook it to the dash gauge?Not sure of the electronics if the Lincoln used two will it be accurate with only one?Gosh they are expensive too looks like $60@ for the ford ones!The currant one in the CAd is for a 12volt negative ground system and is hooked to the Lincoln 6 volt positive ground system this doesn't sound good but I don'tknow that much about electical gauges to know how that would affect the reading!Thanks again!!

The single prong Ford sender should work . They were used on the 6 cylinder engines and carry the same p/n as the Lincoln. Mac's has them at $50. You might give Merv Atkins a call...he may have a good used one. All V12's used the same unit. Hopefully you can find a place on that Cad engine where you can install the sender. It has 3/8" pipe thread and the "bulb" extends about 2" into the water jacket.