1936 Buick Special ring gear rivets broke

Hello All,

Recently while coming back from a car show (60 miles round trip) in my 1936 Buick Special, at the bottom of my driveway the ring gear rivets went in the differential leaving me stuck.

Has anyone tired to put the ring gear back on with harden cap screws or bolts? If so, what is the correct length, width and toque specs?

I want to avoid having rivets put back in. The ring and pinion gears are not chipped, or broken. I also had the correct level of gear oil as well. What could possibly cause this? Everything is stock.

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

Hello,

Well to be honest, I don't know when I bought the car there was already gear oil in the rear. I just kept toping it off with 75w-90. But I only put maybe 500 miles on the car before they broke. I assume the car has around 92k by looking at the odometer.

robert

Bolting the gears is common practice for replacement gears. You should have no problem bolting them. Not sure on the bolt size. Sounds like the gear was running loose for a while, or someone got ruff taking off with it. I would check to see that the holes are still nice and round and not worn oblong. The bolts for the gears should be grade 8. Dandy Dave!

Dandy Dave

Thanks for your reply, I am not sure how the car was taken care of pre me. But I do know one thing, I had to replace the engine in it (three cracks in block). The guy who I bought it off of said the original transmission needed to be replaced, so the only thing not original (I guess) is the differential. So, I guess through years of many drivers with many habits, this should be the next thing to go. The gears are not chipped or broken so, that’s probably a good thing. Grade 8 bolts with small heads I guess would work.

Hell All,

1936 Buick Ring gear fixed!! This project was not too bad. The hardest part is to remove the old rivets that got sheared off in the first place.

1. We had to make a punch that could fit in holes in the carriage and then penetrate to the ring gear.

2. Next is to drill out the rivets about 1/4(suggested from my 1949 Buick shop manuel). This was hard because I kept breaking drill bits.

3. Once the rivets were weakened, you can just pound them out with a sledge hammer and a punch.

4. Next, would be to insert the Grade 8 5/16 bolts that are about 1.25 inches long. I was lucky enough to find bolts that did not have big heads or nuts.

5. Install them with lock washers and torque them down to about 40-50lbs.

I will be uploading a video sometime on youtube of the ring gear in action with the bolts.

Thanks for all your help.

Robert

Robert, I recently had my pinion gear brake on my 1936 Buick 40 series three window coupe. As the ring and pinion gear come in sets I had to change ring gear as well. A friend of my builds race cars and rebuilds rear ends. He sent me to a company called Fastenal I brought the diferential and ring gear with me to get the proper bolts. They informed me that I needed a grade 10 shouldered bolt with a locking nut. The bolt they provided was a 5/16X3/4 and it worked perfectly. They were adament as not to use a treaded bold that went through the ring gear and differential and did not recommend using a lock washer.

Kevin

Robert, I recently had my pinion gear brake on my 1936 Buick 40 series three window coupe. As the ring and pinion gear come in sets I had to change ring gear as well. A friend of my builds race cars and rebuilds rear ends. He sent me to a company called Fastenal I brought the diferential and ring gear with me to get the proper bolts. They informed me that I needed a grade 10 shouldered bolt with a locking nut. The bolt they provided was a 5/16X3/4 and it worked perfectly. They were adament as not to use a treaded bold that went through the ring gear and differential and did not recommend using a lock washer.

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Really, I do have a Fastenal around here. Maybe I should replace the bolts I put in and try using Grade 10 bolts.

What I did use was Grade 8 5/16 X 1.25 and they seemed to bolt up fine. I've also went for a couple of rides and did not hear anthing, although I will be checking it to see if anything is under stress. But you did make a good point. I've wrote down your suggestion and may end up puting in the Grade 10 bolts with locking nuts just for good measure and a piece of mind! Thanks for your input.

Robert

P.S. I am new to all this stuff, but am very handy