Manifold heat valve 320 Buick?

Guest Csteve300

Guest Csteve300

I was able to free up the manifold hear valve on ,my 1940 Century 320, however I'm not sure if it is connected the fright way! the tang with the hole attaches to the spring attached to the manifold bolt,however, it can be mounted in two ways! When the heat is on does the counterweight turn toward the engine or away from the engine? It seens that when tyhe spring expands it does notyhing? I have read amnd reread the shj\op manuial and still cant seem to get ity right!

Thanks

CSteve,

I can't help you on this one. I had to make a new "ex baffel" for the inside out of 14 ga steel, and since I only drive in the summer months, I put a pretty strong spring on the counterweight side to hold the baffel open. Don't need to heat the carb in the summer.

Mike in Colorado

Guest Csteve300
CSteve,

I can't help you on this one. I had to make a new "ex baffel" for the inside out of 14 ga steel, and since I only drive in the summer months, I put a pretty strong spring on the counterweight side to hold the baffel open. Don't need to heat the carb in the summer.

Mike in Colorado

FLYER15015 my next step is to tie off in the heat off position. What pisition is the counterweight in when heat is off?

thanks

CSteve,

On mine, looking at the "rear" side of the carb,where the gas goes in, the ex manifold butterfly should be rotated clockwise, and i ran a coil spring from the lever up to the gas dump elbow out on the ex manifold.

Mike

Just checked the manual for my 320 (in a '48, so I'm not sure if my valve is the same as yours) - the diagram shows that in the 'HEAT ON' position, the counterweight is in the 12 o'clock position (away from engine), and in the 'HEAT OFF' position, the counterweight is in the 2 o'clock position (towards the engine).

Hope this helps!

-Mike