I was just curious as to which state or city has the most number of antique autos and if there's a way of finding out. I live in an average sized town in Fl.and it seems like there's about one old car on every block running or not.I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

Next time they have a census, they could ask that question instead of how many kids I have.

All kidding aside, I doubt that an accurate estimate could be reached. Antique, classic, specialty vehicles, can be found in almost any area. Some cities have very strict code requirements that prohibit cars from being stored outside etc. The numbers could be all over the place. I have seen some fantastic collections out in the country where out buildings can store large numbers of vehicles. Some warehouses in the cities also contain large collections.

Its a tough question without a definate answer. Just an opinion, but I would guess CA.

Just for the fun of it I went to the AACA homepage and counted the number of Regions/Chapters and Pa. has the most at 40. Florida is second with 32 and California is third with 24.

Not a count of antique vehicles, but certainly an indication of where there is a lot of interest in them based on the AACA. :)

If you define an antique car as one that's 25 years old, I'd go with California in a heartbeat.

I've been spending a lot of time in Sacramento, and you can't go a block without seeing a car that's 25 or more years old. Tons of Volkswagons, lots of older trucks, and a lot of cars. The dry overall climate means that paint might get faded in the sun, but there's little rust eating away at the old cars.

I've even made a game of it. Find a 5 square block area, and drive around taking pictures of the older cars. You can get to 20 to 30 very easily.

That, and the size and population of that state, leads me to think it would win....

If I drive more than 5-10 miles one way ANY day of the week, I will ALWAYS see at least one 65-68 Mustang being driven as a daily driver.

I first noticed that in the mid 80's when they were already 20 years old.

It never changed.

AZ has a large amount of older cars (at least the ones the have not been sent "back east" yet), but then we do not have a large tim worm population out here ... :)

Edited by Jim Rohn (see edit history)
Ok, I'll bite, I know about punch buggy, what's slug bug?

Slug a bug is when you see a VW beetle and tell someone by punching them in the arm while yelling "Slug a bug".

At one time, Longmont, Colo (just south of me) claimed to have the most special interest vehicles registered per capita than anywhere else. That and $6 will buy ya a cup of coffee. :) It would be easier to figure out registered or titled cars than existing cars. Many states don't issue titles to vehicles older that 25-ish years so they "don't exist"

P.S. - We played "Slug-bug" here as a kid too with VW bugs specifically. "Punch-buggy" was also played, except for it was dune buggy specific. Maybe that started in Amish country? ;)

I understand two reasons (besides being home of AACA, Hershey & Carlisle) PA is considered a real "antique auto state" has to do with a lot of higher end early cars and Full Classics.

1) certain oil/coal producing regions were somewhat insulated from the Depression so sales of Full Classics (at their best ironically, at height of the Depression) were relatively strong in PA compared to other parts of the country.

2) Many survived due to an early interest by collectors, and a fair number of them being farmers had resources to store multiple cars.

I am not from PA but that is what I have heard over the years.

For a small state, CT seems to have a lot of cars/hobbyists - could be due to dense population more people means some will have an interest?

Washington state must be in the top 10, if not 5.

Perry in Idaho

55 Pontiac Starchief

56 Lincoln Premiere

41 Packard Club Coupe

all builders

a litlle orange tomcat named The Little Lynxer

66 Olds Starfire...these last two are daily drivers.,

Well, you might have a lot of cars in California and you might have antique/classic car shows, they are in the minority. I'm from the central coast of Ca. and 99% of the shows in my area are popular vote stock, modified, or custom all lumped together and I will add very little stock at best. Look at AACA event calendar in May/June issue for 2011. May-October there is only one AACA event west of the Rocky Mountains. The same for 2012. Most things to do with this club as far as shows is on the east coast. I should ask the president of my chapter when was the last time there was a show in our area. Don't get me wrong, we do have a monthly get together, although the destination/event/topics have little to do with cars. I would say at least 75% don't know the difference between a big end bearing and a wheel bearing.

Every Saturday morning at a friends bakery a bunch of us car guys gather. Most of the cars are modified and a few like mine are stock or nearly stock. The topic is always cars, engines, what type of paint they are using, or what the government is doing to destroy our hobby/way of life. I would like to see more cars in the pure stock category.

Don

It is interesting to speculate about this, but of course it can never be proven due to registration, storage of non-drivable vehicles, and modified cars.

Twenty years ago I would have said that central IL had a large number of old cars per capita due to a mechanically inclined populace with lots of prosperous farmers and blue collar guys who liked cars. Now I am not so sure--I bet they are out there but stored and not on the road. The guys from that time who would have restored a car to some standard are now either gone or have curtailed their activities. My situation is now much like helfen's with guys who prefer street rods and do not join clubs. Thankfully we now have a (small) AACA region though, Todd C

Just for the fun of it I went to the AACA homepage and counted the number of Regions/Chapters and Pa. has the most at 40. Florida is second with 32 and California is third with 24.

Not a count of antique vehicles, but certainly an indication of where there is a lot of interest in them based on the AACA. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Susan, Pulling up how many regions/chapters may or may not give a glimpse of cars out there, on one of these so called chapters I did a little research in to a local chapter car show. I don't know how they could be a chapter of AACA, but they are. Seeing the AACA logo on that flyer is sure degrading to me!

http://www.camtwisters.com/sitebuilder/images/100_3280-600x400.jpg

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)