Shifting 1931 model A 3 speed

Guest cyrus

Guest cyrus

Hi. I just purchased a 1931 3 speed model A. I got the hang of double clutching shifting 1,2,3. But when i'm going up a hill and start slowing down I'm having trouble shifting into 2nd. The book say's clutch in and shift as fast as possible? I'm not sure i want to do that. I trying it once and got grinding.

Any idea's or suggestions?

thanks Jim

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I live in a really flat terrain, so I may not be the best guy to give you advice on this. I seldom downshift from 3rd to 2nd. My Model A Phaeton will go just about anywhere in 3rd happily.

With that admission, if you have to downshift, the trick is to match the speed of all of the gears. When you press the clutch, the gears will begin to spin more slowly. You have to match the shift time with the time that the gears speed mesh easily. You may be revving the engine too much or too little, or you may be shifting too soon or too late. A little bit of experimentation and practice will probably help you do it smoothly.

Another thing is to make sure that the transmission fluid is full. Some people like to add a little bit of STP or similar products to the transmission fluid. The proper amount of the proper transmission lube makes this easier.

Guest pat in SC

as mentioned by MCHinson, the trick is to match gear speed with engine speed. To do this, listen to the difference in engine speed in high and second gear at the same road speed. For example, 25mph. Familiarize yourself with the sound of each gear at the same speed. Then, try to downshift as follows:

When traveling at 25mph in high, disengage the clutch, shift to neutral, engage the clutch and simultaneously rev the engine to the speed it would be in second gear, disengage the clutch and shift from neutral into second. All this happens in an instant, once you get the hang of it. If you get it right, the gears will shift like butter. Even the best of us goof it up occasionally, so don't feel bad if you don;t get it right away or always. The transmission was designed to operate with 600w gear oil, the equivalent today is 250wt. Using thinner oils makes shifting more difficult. There are equivalents to 600w available from any Model A parts vendor.

good luck and have fun

Guest carlnut50

Hi, If you are using the correct weight lube in the transmission, you do not usually need to double clutch shifting up, 1,2,3. When downshifting, go from 3rd to neutral, let out on the clutch, blip the accelerator button to rev the engine just a little past where it would be running if it were already in second gear. Then, push in the clutch and go from neutral to 2nd gear. It sounds complicated but once you drive enough to get familiar with the car it almost becomes second nature.

Practice it at very slow speeds like in a big parking lot so as to minimize the grinding and then get used to higher speeds. And make sure you are using the 600w gear oil so you can upshift without double clutching. Good luck, Richard in NC

Guest cben09

Yes all the above apply but add: Practice on leavel as it will give more time to get used to peddaling,,,Watch u/tube on piano players,,they do it too

#2,,As you are slowing for the REAL hill,,you will have the pedal down[more or less]],,,,,Keep it there,,and pump the pedal,,once to neutral,,once to gear,,,,

By duing this you have eliminated 2 pedals at once,,,,seems to help,,let us know,,

##disclaimer,,,the apove is for an immaginary car,,,CB