Studebaker Transmission, Rearend and Front Brakes

Wish I knew. All I was told is this guys uncle had cobbled them onto a Model A chassis. I have salvaged all of the usable A parts. The rearend has an X on the pumpkin, so far no numbers are visible on the rearend or transmission. May have time to scrape more grease off of them later this week. Rod

The tag actually indicates the gear ratio: 41/9 = 4.56. The patent numbers don't help a lot. Pat. 2018188 was issued in October 1935 and covers the use of a way to have the lubricant recirculate in the axle housing.

It's probably a Dana/Spicer rear axle. It might have some numbers cast into the center section, perhaps 41 or 44. The numbers would be on the back side, lower right.

Here's a photo of a Dana 41 mounted in an early 2R5 truck, say 1949-50, the last use of the Dana 41. Earlier, they were used on M5 trucks with the axle below the rear spring. I think these axles were also used on 1939-46 Champion cars. After 1950, Dana 44 axles were used. The "41" on the tag has nothing to do with the model number, only the number of teeth on the ring gear.

dana41_2r5.jpg

That is what I figured the tag was, I guesse I was hoping thr W might have been a year designation, so we could put the issue to rest. Not likely I will be back out to the farm until Sunday at the earliest. 50 mile round trip, so I try to make it a long stay and get as much done as I can while I am there. Rod