Things I've learned working on a Reatta...

Guest blue72beetle

Guest blue72beetle

When you're replacing the top on a convertible, and it tells you to drill out the rivet holding the side cable on, don't use side cutters to break the head off the rivet, because you think you know better.

You will break the whole corner off the piece it's riveted to. :mad::mad::mad:

Guest blue72beetle

I cut a square out of a pop can, smothered it in JB weld, and have it clamped on there. I'll see tomorrow night how well it holds.

Guest blue72beetle

It's a white EZ-On top, I got it off ebay.

I would've loved to get a cloth burgundy top, but I just can't spend twice as much right now.

(I'm buying another Reatta soon) ;)

Guest blue72beetle

Bingo! Red/Saddle 89. 132,000 miles. Getting it from the second owner, she's had it since 1993.

Guest blue72beetle

They are neat. My dad had a silver 88. It was early, #597. Suede on the seats. I drove it for a couple years, it ultimately kicked the bucket with 268,000 miles on it.

I remember driving it through Indianapolis the day after prom when it turned over 200,000.

Bingo! Red/Saddle 89. 132,000 miles. Getting it from the second owner, she's had it since 1993.

Good for you!

In my opinion the '89 is the best year [still has the touch screen and also has the keyless entry] and also in my opinion the best color combination is the Red/Tan. I know it is the most popular color, but isn't a sports car supposed to be red? And to me the natural color of leather is tan.

Having said that my second car is Black another great color for sports cars. I also wanted a tan interior for that one, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on it, so took the gray...

You will find that there will be fewer "issues" with a one owner car verses a multiple owner car. They just seem to have been better taken care of...

Guest Recian

I agree. The 89 has the bugs worked out from the first year 88 and still has the touch screen capablities and no air bags. Not to mention the original styling of the interior. When I first saw a reatta i thought the styling of the 89 was the only thing they came with til I saw the 90s models with all their changes, didnt like them much

Agree the 89 has RKE but the 88 has more buttons (and I've had an RKE for my 88 for years, just never got a round tuit.

BTW for racing, red is for Italian cars, BRG for British, and white (usu with blue stripes) is American.

There is a reason it is called "Resale Red".

Guest blue72beetle

After I got the vert, I knew I wanted a hardtop someday. I figured it would be an early one, for the interior. The only reason I would've bought a 90-91 is if I found a Maui or Polo.

Red has always been near the top of my list though, and this one has body colored moulding too.

Edited by blue72beetle (see edit history)

Guest blue72beetle

Well it's finished, and it'll work, but I'm never doing a Reatta top again.

Next time I'm buying a Burgundy cloth top, and paying someone to put it on.

256767_1622884150891_1800108632_1044238_5316041_o.jpg