MORE trouble, won't start,wants to!

rrs814

I've been here recently due to "damaged wiring" (also thread by that name....)

BUT...here's the latest. Still need to pull seats and do wires, but went for a drive - 84 and sunny here in the NW yesterday -- ran a little hot in slow traffic, no big deal, got VERY low on gas, but made it to get some. Left afterward, went around corner (100 ft) saw temp gage WAY up (not redline, but close) shut down for 15 min...now it won't start! Acts like it wants to, but won't. Towed it home. HUH?? Any ideas? ANOTHER wiring problem?, Maybe fuel line??:mad:

Test for spark from the coils

* Remove a spark plug wire.

* Check for a good spark while an assistant attempts to start the engine.

(The spark should be blueish white and jump at least 1/2" to ground.)

Do you have fire to the spark plugs?

But he got low on fuel and then suddenly pooped out after sitting. (leaned out)

I have seen Fuel pumps "go low" aka: got hot and a hundred feet from the pump it (fuel pump) locked up!

Try to bang the tank from under and see if it wumps up when the key gets turned on. If it does you may get lucky untill...

Keeping gas in it then may be good for longer running. Af uel pump needs fuel to stay cool and running. Quarter tank at best coverage.

Guest Recian

Check the wiring harness connector on the fuel rail also. Mine had a break in the main wire about 1/2 inch from the connector and i had to solder it back together. Also if you drive with the gas light on youre damaging your pump. That's what the light is for. The pump uses fuel to cool itself and if the tank is empty it'll burn up

It sat for 4 days...... 1 tow home tues, another to the shop thur)....wouldn't start on Friday.....Saturday it DID!! Now today it does, and runs fine. IF....that's IF you're curious (and really wanna help a guy out) please see my "damaged wiring" thread, and you'll know more of the story. NOW.....I don;t know if its the soaked wiring, or fuel pump, or WHAT ??!% I will soon address wiring under seats.......................................

Edited by rrs814 (see edit history)

I usually do triage: apply about 1/2 oz of gas to the plenium and crank. If it fires for a few seconds and quits it is a bad fuel pump. If it fires and keeps on running it is usually a failing fuel pump.

Note: a pump that has failed once is like a window motor that halts part way up then will go up the rest of the way in a minute. Both have already failed.

Thanks Padgett. I though (and perhaps still can??) that my wiring/flood was-is the trouble. But now that it starts - parks - starts again, maybe it IS the fuel pump, which I'll have done anyway (just in case), as I'm no mechanic. I've spent a bundle (5 large on engine rebuild alone, and assorted other stuff) already this year so....... ALSO...if you're willing..check out the thread I'm doing NOW called "cricket sounds in suspension (I think)".

• 4 weeks later...