1989 (salvage yard find)

Guest Bazzwell

Guest Bazzwell

Local wrecking yard received this 1989 a few weeks ago and put it off to the side to see if I could muster any interest in it before it meets the usual fate. I don't own the car or the yard, just a regular customer who sometimes helps them find homes for the ancient and unwanted.

Loskos001.jpg

Loskos002.jpg

Loskos003.jpg

Loskos004.jpg

Loskos005.jpg

It does run and drive and did pass the last inspection period. Someone did some work in the steering column area which rendered it unusable on the road. When running there's a heck of a screeching/hissing sound coming from the area between the back of the engine and the firewall, if that means anything.

Personal opinion is that this would best be used as a parts car. Vehicle is located in Pennsylvania, southwest of Pittsburgh. Yard owner says $1,500 takes it home as it sits. Shoot me a message and I'll be glad to pass along the contact info. The Reatta thanks you!

Why don't you act as a broker and part the car out for those interested in parts? 16 way seats don't look that bad, headlight/wiper pods, IPC, the little hold down turn screws on the firewall, MAF sensor, maybe the door panels, etc...

Everyone gets a little and you can make some coin for yourself.

Yes, $1500 is too much. Crusher price is about $400 for a Reatta. And nice running driving Reattas can be had for $1000. I know you are just the messenger but here we go with greed again.

Windshield cracked?

I agree with parting it out. But that takes up your time, which is valuable.

Guest steveskyhawk

I would put a battery in it and see if the sunroof works properly. If it works smoothly and is corrosion free it is worth almost half the asking price of the car.

I see the car is an '89 but has an '88 engine in it.

I agree with BJM that the car is not worth that much as a complete car. I have bought quite a few of them in that condition for between $ 250 and $ 700. It probably isn't greed though on the part of the owner. He probably doesn't see many Reattas and just isn't informed on current values.

Padgett,

OK, now my turn to ask :)

I didn't realize there was a difference in the dipsticks and the supports. Which support are you referring to?

Oops, I went back and looked again at the picture and see you are referring to the support over the transmission.

It does have the '89-91 support.

Dipstick?

Guest Bazzwell

What one can learn from a single post, thanks.

Yard owner says this is the first they've ever had come in and he probably based his asking price partially on that. I know little about the Reatta and couldn't help him with value myself.

Don't think the windshield is cracked, I'll check again next visit. Will also suggest they drop a battery in to check the sunroof.

As far as brokering out the parts, a little hard due simply to a lack of time. A day in the yard is a luxury for me right now. My lack of knowledge also about what's useful and what's not useful on this particular vehicle would probably make me of no help to anybody.

Let it sit for a couple of months, I don't think there's any real danger of it being crushed. Maybe he'll then be more open to parting it out.

Hey, thanks again to all, seriously.

1988 only has "3800" on the dipstick handle.

Nice thing about a whole Reatta is that you get a shed for your parts. If it does not have a regular title then definately less than $1k. Crusher value is ~$400.

Guest Bazzwell

I do know it will come with a regular title and even has a current inspection good until.....August, maybe September. Not driveable though due to the steering column issue.

Guest Recian

What's the column problem? because if it runs it's in better shape than my 89.. and i kinda like the burgandy

Guest Bazzwell

Had a chance Thursday to go over to the yard. Owner says they will part it out if that's what it takes. Couldn't get a battery over to it as the whole yard crew was getting a load of cars ready for the scrapper. Upon closer inspection...

(a) Sunroof has some rust around the edges, largest is about two inches long by a half inch wide right in the center of the rear of the roof.

(B) Rear quarters developing some rust. Glass is good all around. Front fascia looks ok, rear looks bumped a time or two. Wheels are original but are either missing the center caps or the caps are scratched.

© Interior is pretty much what you see in the photo but I'll add the headliner has been pulled off, rear interior parts look ok though.

(d) As far as the steering column issue. You can freely move the whole column about an inch to the right and back again although I did see the yard man drive it to the spot where it sits. Oh, there's only one key and the only thing it fits is the ignition, can't get the trunk open with it.

That's about all I can offer without getting it hooked up to a battery. But I did hear it run and saw it move when it came in.

Jim

Thanks for correcting. Yard owner that has never seen a Reatta probably does think it's exotic and worth $1500.

It's the old "if I was closer" dilemma. Claret is by far my favorite color and tan or burgandy interior my favorite interior.

Guest Bazzwell
Looks like the yard owner put it up on the PA Craigslist. 1989 Buick Reatta parts car

I did that. Like I mentioned before, isn't my car or yard but I get a break on things I need by helping out with 'net stuff. That comes in handy in these difficult economic days.

Guest Telco

1500? I'm asking 1800 for mine and anyone that wants it can fly out and drive it home. No need to arrange a tow or trailer. The paint on mine, while old, is in far better shape too.