Jointing Fiberglass against Steel

Looking at the rear gas apron on 33-34 Chevy, I came across a problem.<BR>Should I put rubber pads between the body's frame and the chassic using a fiberglass rear apron?<BR>If so then the rear apron bolts to the body's frame & chassic. Therefore the body movement vs chassic movement will crack the fiberglass apron. <BR>With the body being steel and the rear apron being fiberglass, what material should I sandwich in between these parts?<BR>Should it be rubber or fiber material, and if so could I paint over it?<P>Please everyone, I could use the help!<BR>Jim

Z, if I've understood your post correctly I think that a steel strip bonded to your fiberglass roll pan at the mounting points would help distribute the load across the entire piece. <P>Are you bolting, riveting this piece on? Rubber mounts are a great idea if you can incorporate it into your design. The other alternative would be a Dzus type fastener which is spring loaded to some degree and can be mounted flush and painted to match, looks cool too.

The best thing I have found for using on top of the frame under either bodies or fenders stc is the rubber type tape that is used to install glass int window channels. It comes in enough different thicknesses to suit any application.

Chuck & Reid,<BR>Thanks for the info! <BR>I think getting the window rubber strips is a very good idea. This also can be used in many other applications.<P>Again thanks to both of you,<BR>very, very helpful!<BR>Jim smile.gif" border="0