Lester tires

Mike Dube

Is anyone else having trouble getting decent tread life out of their Lesters? I was happy with my first set (came with the car and pretty new when I got it) but the last set of 600-650/17s on the Auburn are wearing badly I think. Uneven wear, and I'm not talking about alignment issues. I suppose my wheels could be suspect, but the car rides & handles pretty well. Some sections of the tires (talking circumference) have a lot of tread left some and parts quite thin. I don't rotate them, and the ones on the rear are just as odd as the fronts. :confused:

I would suggest frequent rotations Mike. I have the same problems on my commercial trailers. The front axles of the tandem always notch up, so I keep older half worn out tires on the front, new ones-only, on the rear.

Sorry off topic somewhat. I'd would suggest raising the air pressure too, even over what is recommended. If they are wearing fast anyway, you may as well experiment.

May I be the first to say "Thank You" for driving your Auburn that much, for the whole world to see!:)

Wayne

Mike - I have the same Lester tires on my '31 Auburn Phaeton and, while I don't drive as many miles (no noticeable wear just yet at 500 miles), for all my efforts, I just cannot get the whitewalls white. They were bright when they were put on but within 6 months had yellowed and nothing, from Bleche White to Billo pads, will get them white again. Are you (or anyone else) having the same issue? I am ready to replace them with a set of 7.00 x 17 Firestones, which, quite frankly, look better anyway. David

Hi Dave,

Just an fYi my Firestone 6.50 x 17 whitewalls which look much wider than the Lesters turn yellow sitting in the garage. They are a little over a year old and turn yellow in about two months time without ever coming out of the garage. With work they do whiten up though.

Carl

Dave,

My Lesters are not prone to yellowing, but they are probably from a much older batch. Since you and Carl are having yellowing issues with two different makes of tire, I wonder if something has changed in the rubber market?

Mike - I believe you are correct in that the new materials used in the wide whites are not the same as the old. I do not know what the difference is, but my older Lester WW's stay white and easily brighten up - of course, they are near dry-rot condition. I have heard of others with the same issues....and Carl what you described is exactly my situation - turning yellow just sitting over the winter....but I just can't seem to get the white to brighten up! The salesman at Universal Tire alluded to the fact that this is not the first time he's had a complaint!

Dave, I don't put that many miles on my 32 Auburn, but the old Lesters I would clean 4-5 times a year and they were presentable all year. The Firestones I scrub with a brush and Westleys a couple times and they generally brighten up, but only for a couple of days and still not as white as the Lesters would get. There was a thread about cleaning whitewalls a while back guess we will have to find it and check out some of those methods.