Sign in to follow this  
jrbartlett

Dually vs. Single Rear Wheel Towing

Ford has quieted the 6.4 diesel to where it is comprable to a gas engine as far as noise goes. I vowed I'd never buy a diesel due to the noise, but when I heard the 6.4 run I bought one. The 6.4 came out in 2008 and has now been bumped to 6.7.

As I understand it, the 6.4 is an International engine; the 6.7 is a Ford designed (and built) engine.

Rebel Sympathy; you are correct. As I understand it there was some sort of riff between Ford and International { Navistar } which led to Ford building thier own diesel. Nevertheless, they are super quiet, comperable to gas.

Agree on the safety aspect. I obviously tow heavy cars, and there were several times that I felt on the edge in terms of stability while towing with an enclosed trailer, despite the extended-cab long-bed F-250 diesel that I used to have. Examples were on windy days, or coming to unexpected curves on narrow two-lane roads. So I moved up to a dually -- a quad-cab long-bed, to maximize the wheelbase. Haven't towed with it yet.

I always try to find out as much as I can about trailering accidents. Oftentimes the details aren't available, or aren't shared. But common threads have included towing with an SUV, and running the trailer wheels off the edge of the road and then trying to swerve back on.

What accident factors are you aware of?

Thank God, the only times I almost wrecked my rig was due to other people. Towing a trailer is like riding a motorcycle. For some reason people feel compelled to pull out in front of you. I have a crew cab dually with triple axle gooseneck trailer and this set up is without question is the most stable combo I've ever used.

I towed for 10 years using a suburban with the kids in the back seat.  I used to feel that "burn" up my spine many times, and the thought of the commute to far away tours literally made me a little sick.  Adrenaline burn when passed by tractor trailers, and on those emergency braking situations on limited access highways.  I bought a crew cab utility 3500, dually.  No more "burn", I love looking at the mammoth brake drums and calipers, both front and back.  Suburban got 7 mpg towing, the dually gets 10 towing.  Nothing makes it sway.  The tool boxes are big enough to carry all the tools, hubs, drums, floor jacks, oil, etc., that one could ever need in a break down.  One long tool box is so large that it accommodates all of our luggage, leaving the bed entirely open just in case of a great "find" on the way.  I wouldn't trade it for anything. Peace of mind is worth it. 

dually isnt worth the hassle, unless you are pulling a horse trailer. also get better traction in snow from a single wheel.

-dually is a pain through toll booths and parking.

dont forget the tolls, dually in NJ costs 12.50 to go over PA bridge-single wheel is 5.

finally, GL parking a dually in the city.................!

• Like 1

My experience is limited to about 150 thousand miles towing over the last ten years , and I have been towing cars for over thirty. Dual rear wheels is the ONLY way to go, I personally know two friends that died in a towing accident when the rear tire blew out on their truck, causing the front end to lift, and loss of steering with a roll over at speed. They had decent equipment, and the load was set up right, there was a large dip or bump in the highway at the same time as the blowout. Most trailers and their load are heavier than the tow vehicle, and if your hauling a big car it's a certainty. The cost of tolls is worth your life? As far as parking my crew cab dually, I have been doing it since Spring of 1986. I have always found a place with very little issues. My current rig is about 61 feet pumper to bumper, that can be difficult to park, or even fill up with fuel. If you tow enough you will have an accident, as it's usually other drivers making very poor decisions that get you into trouble. Dually trucks have heavier suspension, sway bars, and brakes. I also run a triple axel trailer with brakes on all the axles. Stopping improves by 100 percent with the extra axel, sure it costs more in tolls, and eats tires up, but it is SAFE, and that is more important than money every time. 

image.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

For many years I towed with an F-250. In my younger days I towed things I never should have towed so was no stranger to taking what I though was calculated risks. But I hope to get wiser with age.

About 6 years ago my wife wanted a dump truck so I said I'm not going to have both a pickup and a dump so the pickup was sold and bought a used loaded F-350 DRW 4x4 turbo diesel with integrated factory brake controller. We didn't buy this truck specifically for towing but the first time I towed, I was blown away by the INCREASE in STABILITY due to the DRW and extra weight which improves the margin of safety especially in unexpected situations. Unloaded the truck weighs 9750lb. Towing a 8500GVW trailer.

Strictly speaking from a towing standpoint, if I had to drive this truck regularly for transportation and small hauling needs of which a standard SRW pickup is commonly used for vs trailer towing a handful of times per year, I agree the extra size can be cumbersome in tight areas or narrow roads like we have in my neck of the woods. I might not think the trade-off of a more bulky DRW is worth it. If my trailer GVW was 10k or over, I'd raise the priority of DRW tow vehicle.

No question in my mind a DRW truck adds a significant margin of safety when towing. The heavier the load, the more the safety margin becomes a factor. Can some of that margin be offset by a proper weight distributing hitch, and proper tongue weight adjustment on a SRW along with safe driving habits? Absolutely it can with an experienced alert driver, good route planning and avoiding congested areas/rush hours around cities. Even the safest of drivers can have an accident as we humans and those around us are not perfect. An accident while pulling a classic car is very ugly.

So its going to come down to how much you tow and in what terrain, how much you will need to use the tow vehicle for other transportation, and your experience level towing in general.

When I bought my enclosed trailer I got dual 5500# axles with brakes on both axles.  I wanted to be sure that the trailer would stop when I put the brakes on.

3500# axles are / usually the norm when buying from a lot and not all trailers have brakes on both axles, at least when I was buying my trailer.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

We have 2 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesels we use for towing. One has single rear wheels, one dual rear wheels. Both tow equally but the dually sure stops quicker and seems to go in a straighter line down the road.. 

I drive a 2001 Dodge dually diesel  . Wouldn't have any thing else . The one before this was 3/4 dodge with 300.000 miles never did much to it .  Love the sound going down the road . You know you are driving a truck not some toy !  As you for fuel ,I get about 13 mpg pulling a 30 ft  Gooseneck . Kings32

I am a firm believer in Duallys for towing. I use a 2005 GMC crew cab diesel Dually for my smaller trailer and flatbed. I decided after a uncomfortable trip with the dually and enclosed trailer where I was running through the mountains and had a scare with panic braking. There was a accident directly in front of me on a long down hill stretch where i had to slam the breaks. the trailer was heavily loaded. I managed to avoid the crash but left it thinking that even the Dually was not enough. I regularly tow large cars ie Full Classics. i did some shopping around and bought the truck pictured. A 2008 Frieghtliner M2 business class with a sportchassis conversion purchased new. it has a 8.3 cummins and more brakes than you could ever want. I can load the trailer to full weight capacity and drive for 12 hours and arrive feeling not tired or worn out. the bigger the truck the safer you are! my GMC dually is seen in the background. Also being a crewcab there is lots of room for the kids and all their junk.

P6280341.JPG

• Like 1

Very nice rig.  Too bad I can't have one living in MD as I can't legally drive it and probably can't get it insured in Maryland

Robert

20 hours ago, Robert Street said:

Very nice rig.  Too bad I can't have one living in MD as I can't legally drive it and probably can't get it insured in Maryland

Robert

That truck has hydraulic brakes and only needs a standard license to drive. Some areas may need a heavy trailer endorsement.

31 minutes ago, vintagerodshop said:

That truck has hydraulic brakes and only needs a standard license to drive. Some areas may need a heavy trailer endorsement.

Aah not in Maryland  I'm not sure about the Hydraulic brakes but I know a standard license won't work with me due to trailer GVW and the over all GCVW. Plus how it is titled might give me major problems in MD.  My rig is as big as I can legally go here.

Robert

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert Street said:

Aah not in Maryland  I'm not sure about the Hydraulic brakes but I know a standard license won't work with me due to trailer GVW and the over all GCVW. Plus how it is titled might give me major problems in MD.  My rig is as big as I can legally go here.

Robert

Legal smegal ! Haven't you ever seen the movie Convoy?

8 hours ago, vintagerodshop said:

Legal smegal ! Haven't you ever seen the movie Convoy?

Loved the movie BUT.... I have been run down twice by MD DOT troopers and had to go to nearby Scales "inspection" station.  No tickets were issued as they had to call a supervisor in headquarters for my disposition one time and he advised the inspection station to let me go. I now have to carry the federal manual with me that Maryland adopted the section where I am exempt if under 26,000 GCVW (I am 23,500).  When Maryland wrote their commercial and truck book years ago us hobbyist were conveniently left out of the 26,000 pound exemption but we are in federal exemption for hobbyist. Now they argue at MD scales that our cars win prizes of value so soon I'll have to carry my audit with me to prove the cars aren't expensed nor revenue booked!

I do have a medical cdl card as required to tow over 10,000 GCVW in MD but private non CDL license.

I recently completed the Western Cheyenne Wyoming show and western family trip with a car trailer down to Colorado with no problems in any state.

Robert

Edited by Robert Street (see edit history)
  • Like 1