Dually vs. Single Rear Wheel Towing

31 minutes ago, vintagerodshop said:

That truck has hydraulic brakes and only needs a standard license to drive. Some areas may need a heavy trailer endorsement.

Aah not in Maryland  I'm not sure about the Hydraulic brakes but I know a standard license won't work with me due to trailer GVW and the over all GCVW. Plus how it is titled might give me major problems in MD.  My rig is as big as I can legally go here.

Robert

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert Street said:

Aah not in Maryland  I'm not sure about the Hydraulic brakes but I know a standard license won't work with me due to trailer GVW and the over all GCVW. Plus how it is titled might give me major problems in MD.  My rig is as big as I can legally go here.

Robert

Legal smegal ! Haven't you ever seen the movie Convoy?

8 hours ago, vintagerodshop said:

Legal smegal ! Haven't you ever seen the movie Convoy?

Loved the movie BUT.... I have been run down twice by MD DOT troopers and had to go to nearby Scales "inspection" station.  No tickets were issued as they had to call a supervisor in headquarters for my disposition one time and he advised the inspection station to let me go. I now have to carry the federal manual with me that Maryland adopted the section where I am exempt if under 26,000 GCVW (I am 23,500).  When Maryland wrote their commercial and truck book years ago us hobbyist were conveniently left out of the 26,000 pound exemption but we are in federal exemption for hobbyist. Now they argue at MD scales that our cars win prizes of value so soon I'll have to carry my audit with me to prove the cars aren't expensed nor revenue booked!

I do have a medical cdl card as required to tow over 10,000 GCVW in MD but private non CDL license.

I recently completed the Western Cheyenne Wyoming show and western family trip with a car trailer down to Colorado with no problems in any state.

Robert

Edited by Robert Street (see edit history)
  • Like 1