Dually vs. Single Rear Wheel Towing

What are your opinions on the merits of dual-wheel vs. single-rear-wheel heavy duty pickups for towing big classic cars? I am in the market for a new tow vehicle to pull 10,000+ pounds of car and trailer. I currently use a conventional Class 5 hitch mounted on a extended cab long-bed F250.

I drive and tow with a Dodge Diesel Ram 3/4 ton single rear wheels. My Son, working with me, tows with a Dodge Diesel Ram 3/4 ton dual rear wheels. There is NO apparent difference in towing or handling or braking characteristics. I see no advantage to dual wheels nor does my Son. We pull a 24' enclosed trailer with cars weighing as much as 7000# without difficulty.

Jim

I've had the exact opposite experience than Jeff. I saw a huge stability difference using a truck with dual rear wheels and the same type of hitch. I found that I wasn't looking in my mirror as often with the dual-rear-wheeled vehicle (perhaps not rightfully so, I just seemed to forget that there was 10,000 pounds behind me). I especially noticed the difference when driving down the freeway with 50mph winds hitting me from the side, or when passing or being passed by semi trucks. The whole rig never budged, while the Suburban with which we normally towed would have been pushed all over the road.

That said, a dual-wheeled truck is not much of a dual-purpose vehicle, while the Suburban (or Avalanche, or similar vehicle), can be used on a more regular basis and kept in a regular sized garage. So, unless you're okay with spending a lot of money for a single-purpose vehicle, I would recommend the Suburban/Avalanche and drive accordingly.

• Like 1

.............. I especially noticed the difference when driving down the freeway with 50mph winds hitting me from the side, or when passing or being passed by semi trucks............

That said, a dual-wheeled truck is not much of a dual-purpose vehicle, while the Suburban (or Avalanche, or similar vehicle), can be used on a more regular basis and kept in a regular sized garage. So, unless you're okay with spending a lot of money for a single-purpose vehicle, I would recommend the Suburban/Avalanche and drive accordingly.

I agree with West totally. I have gotten used to the blowby from trucks now, but the extra stability from a dually would still not be enough to pry the extra money from my tight little hands.:)

Tightening the equalizer bars up on your tow vehicle is the secret to a good handling tow vehicle!;)

We've been on 3 tours so far this year, all with an open trailer. WOW, 13.1 mpg the last trip home from Mt Airy. Beat that Ford!:D

Ok, so I was only pulling a '32 Ford pu, missing a few solid body parts. (rust):o

We have just signed up for the Vintage Tour in July, so we will have to use an enclosed trailer for our early Essex. So much for gas mileage, about 9mpg is expected.

Wayne

• Like 1

I believe dually trucks are better suited for fifth wheel trailers, better tire weight distribution (remember the tire pressure thread??).

I like a 3/4 ton Suburban, am on my second one, looking for my third. If the trailer and car has any substantial weight to it, then you either need an 8.1 or a diesel. A 6.0 is OK for light trailers and a light car, but as the racers say, there's no replacement for displacement. GM quit putting the big engine in Suburbans in 2006, unfortunately.

I had a one ton single wheel truck, followed by a pair of duallies. The duallies were far more stable towing vehicles. Didn't matter if it was a tag-along, goose neck, or fifth wheel trailer, the dually was a better choice.

• Like 1

I would not trade my 1 ton Dodge Dually Diesel for anything. I pull Packards on a dual axle trailer and the truck hardly knows any of it is there.

A slightly-used big dually tow vehicle may be one of the best buys on the market. About two or three years ago, my brother told me of a five-year old (at the time) Ford Super Duty XLT twin cab, tow package, dually.... everything. It had just 12,000 miles on it. Clean as a whistle. The asking price was $10,000.

Limited use for him and no storage space, so he passed on it. As I said, if you have a place to park it, or if you feel comfortable using it as an everyday vehicle, that's what I'd do.

jrbartlett said:
What are your opinions on the merits of dual-wheel vs. single-rear-wheel heavy duty pickups for towing big classic cars? I am in the market for a new tow vehicle to pull 10,000+ pounds of car and trailer. I currently use a conventional Class 5 hitch mounted on a extended cab long-bed F250.

What you are pulling determines what you use to pull with and stop with

Common sense that is often overlooked ;)

Only you know what the maximum combined weight rating

for both trailer & vehicle(s) will be .....

Start with that total - add 20% - then go from there

My personal preference - based upon full time towing day in & out

in all weather & road conditions imaginable ....

Ford F350 dually w/ 7.3 IDI engine 

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

I pull with a Ford F-350 crew cab dually. Would not pull with anything else. Very stable on the road. With the V-10 engine , it will pass everything but a gas station. It is also my bad wheather vechicle. Have pulled with 3/4 ton single axle trucks and did not feel safe when it was windy and when tractor trailers passed me. Came close of being sucked into one once.

Edited by dbirchmire (see edit history)

dbirchmire said:
I pull with a Ford F-350 crew cab dually. Would not pull with anything else. Very stable on the road. With the V-10 engine , it will pass everything but a gas station. It is also my bad wheather vechicle. Have pulled with 3/4 ton single axle trucks and did not feel safe when it was windy and when tractor trailers passed me. Came close of being sucked into one once.

Dave ...

You drive an F350 dually AND you have the Mustang pictured ?

I'm not jealous 

Jim ;)

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

I think the heavier tow vehicle the more stable it is, Usually duellies are heaver so they are better for towing. I used to tow with an old xplorer motorhome single rear wheel. it was a great tow vehicle never a problem, I changed to a custom van same wheel base larger engine, be a lot lighter, it was not a very good tow vehicle. I also think the trailer makes a big difference. an open trailer tows a lot better that an enclosed trailer of the same weight.

Guest martylum

I've towed 10,000# combined 24 ' box trailer and Lincoln successfully with a 3/4 ton and a 454 engine but there is the problem with suck when tractor trailers come down the passing lane at higher speeds and wind push with heavy crosswinds when pulling a 24" box trailer.

I used to pull an open trailer loaded with a 5,000 # car and these kinds of problems were minimal with a 3/4 ton single wheel truck..

If I were logging a lot of miles every year I would think it would be easier and safer with the extra stability with dual wheels when pulling a box trailer.

I just switched to a Suburban because of the greater passenger carrying ability as compared to my single seat 3/4 ton pickup. it has much better gas mileage when not towing.

Martin Lum

24 foot box trailer

Guest billybird

For towing, I love my 2008 F-450 crew cab dually. 6.4 twin turbo, long bed, 4:88 gears. This beast will pull anything, anywhere, any time, any grade, any speed. Tractor-trailers don't pass me I pass them. In fact, the truck is scary powerful in mountainous terrain. Don't ask about the fuel milleage though; there is none :D

• 1 month later...

Thought I would close the loop on this thread. I wound up buying a 2009 Ford F350 crew cab dually with a V10 engine. Found one with less than 8,000 miles on it. Didn't want an old-generation diesel, and I sure like the quietness of the V10. It won't get nearly the fuel mileage of my old '99 F-250 7.3 diesel, but I was tired of how noisy that truck was, plus the smell and smoke of the engine. I looked at the new trucks, and liked the Dodge, but all the manufacturers' new diesels are overpriced and overpowered.

Great choice by the way. I just filled my 2000 f-350 dulley today for the trip to Bristol. It took 28 gal at a cost of $100.00. That V-10 gets 9 miles per gal Towing. But I do tow with ease and comfort. You don't even feel the trailer behind you. Good luck with it.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Thought I would close the loop on this thread. I wound up buying a 2009 Ford F350 crew cab dually with a V10 engine. Found one with less than 8,000 miles on it. Didn't want an old-generation diesel, and I sure like the quietness of the V10. It won't get nearly the fuel mileage of my old '99 F-250 7.3 diesel, but I was tired of how noisy that truck was, plus the smell and smoke of the engine. I looked at the new trucks, and liked the Dodge, but all the manufacturers' new diesels are overpriced and overpowered.

Overpowered ?? Is there such a thing ?? That word isn't in my vocabulary....lol

Yes, in the sense that they've sacrificed fuel economy and reliability. I've heard horror stories on all three manufacturers' diesel engines. I attribute it to their efforts to appeal to buyers who use these trucks as family cars, want them to accelerate fast, just don't care how much fuel they have to buy, and get a new one every few years. Folks like us are far more interested in economy and reliability during towing, and multi-hundred-thousand-miles of use. My '99 F-250 7.3 diesel was perfect in those respects. I just got tired of the diesel noise, smell and oil-change hassle and wanted more of the modern interior amenities.

Guest billybird

Ford has quieted the 6.4 diesel to where it is comprable to a gas engine as far as noise goes. I vowed I'd never buy a diesel due to the noise, but when I heard the 6.4 run I bought one. The 6.4 came out in 2008 and has now been bumped to 6.7.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Yes, in the sense that they've sacrificed fuel economy and reliability. I've heard horror stories on all three manufacturers' diesel engines. I attribute it to their efforts to appeal to buyers who use these trucks as family cars, want them to accelerate fast, just don't care how much fuel they have to buy, and get a new one every few years. Folks like us are far more interested in economy and reliability during towing, and multi-hundred-thousand-miles of use. My '99 F-250 7.3 diesel was perfect in those respects. I just got tired of the diesel noise, smell and oil-change hassle and wanted more of the modern interior amenities.

Having more then enough power has always been important in a vehicle to me but, a vehicle has to be reliable before I buy it. Even the toys I buy have to be somewhat reliable, I don't want to worry everytime I shut it off "Is she gonna start?" I like working on cars but I don't want a money pit I have to spend my weekends repairing, daily driver or not. Gas mileage is relative to me. I'm willing to give up a few miles per gallon for more power but, it has to fit into my budget, regardless of its use.....

I must admit that I am very surprised that nobody made a comment about the safety factor with the dual rear wheels. If you are towing a large classic with a tag along trailer and suffer rear wheel blow out, the probability of a roll over is 400 percent greater on a single rear wheel truck. Sway bars and a weight distributing hitch WILL NOT PREVENT ROLL OVER. We have seen it several times over the last 20 years, one where we lost both driver and passenger in the crash. I won't mention names, but they were well known nationally in the hobby. I would NEVER tow my Pierce without dual rear wheels. Ever

Guest Rebel Sympathy
Ford has quieted the 6.4 diesel to where it is comprable to a gas engine as far as noise goes. I vowed I'd never buy a diesel due to the noise, but when I heard the 6.4 run I bought one. The 6.4 came out in 2008 and has now been bumped to 6.7.

As I understand it, the 6.4 is an International engine; the 6.7 is a Ford designed (and built) engine.

Guest billybird

Rebel Sympathy; you are correct. As I understand it there was some sort of riff between Ford and International { Navistar } which led to Ford building thier own diesel. Nevertheless, they are super quiet, comperable to gas.

Agree on the safety aspect. I obviously tow heavy cars, and there were several times that I felt on the edge in terms of stability while towing with an enclosed trailer, despite the extended-cab long-bed F-250 diesel that I used to have. Examples were on windy days, or coming to unexpected curves on narrow two-lane roads. So I moved up to a dually -- a quad-cab long-bed, to maximize the wheelbase. Haven't towed with it yet.

I always try to find out as much as I can about trailering accidents. Oftentimes the details aren't available, or aren't shared. But common threads have included towing with an SUV, and running the trailer wheels off the edge of the road and then trying to swerve back on.

What accident factors are you aware of?

Guest billybird

Thank God, the only times I almost wrecked my rig was due to other people. Towing a trailer is like riding a motorcycle. For some reason people feel compelled to pull out in front of you. I have a crew cab dually with triple axle gooseneck trailer and this set up is without question is the most stable combo I've ever used.

• 5 years later...

I towed for 10 years using a suburban with the kids in the back seat.  I used to feel that "burn" up my spine many times, and the thought of the commute to far away tours literally made me a little sick.  Adrenaline burn when passed by tractor trailers, and on those emergency braking situations on limited access highways.  I bought a crew cab utility 3500, dually.  No more "burn", I love looking at the mammoth brake drums and calipers, both front and back.  Suburban got 7 mpg towing, the dually gets 10 towing.  Nothing makes it sway.  The tool boxes are big enough to carry all the tools, hubs, drums, floor jacks, oil, etc., that one could ever need in a break down.  One long tool box is so large that it accommodates all of our luggage, leaving the bed entirely open just in case of a great "find" on the way.  I wouldn't trade it for anything. Peace of mind is worth it. 

dually isnt worth the hassle, unless you are pulling a horse trailer. also get better traction in snow from a single wheel.

-dually is a pain through toll booths and parking.

dont forget the tolls, dually in NJ costs 12.50 to go over PA bridge-single wheel is 5.

finally, GL parking a dually in the city.................!

• Like 1

My experience is limited to about 150 thousand miles towing over the last ten years , and I have been towing cars for over thirty. Dual rear wheels is the ONLY way to go, I personally know two friends that died in a towing accident when the rear tire blew out on their truck, causing the front end to lift, and loss of steering with a roll over at speed. They had decent equipment, and the load was set up right, there was a large dip or bump in the highway at the same time as the blowout. Most trailers and their load are heavier than the tow vehicle, and if your hauling a big car it's a certainty. The cost of tolls is worth your life? As far as parking my crew cab dually, I have been doing it since Spring of 1986. I have always found a place with very little issues. My current rig is about 61 feet pumper to bumper, that can be difficult to park, or even fill up with fuel. If you tow enough you will have an accident, as it's usually other drivers making very poor decisions that get you into trouble. Dually trucks have heavier suspension, sway bars, and brakes. I also run a triple axel trailer with brakes on all the axles. Stopping improves by 100 percent with the extra axel, sure it costs more in tolls, and eats tires up, but it is SAFE, and that is more important than money every time. 

image.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

For many years I towed with an F-250. In my younger days I towed things I never should have towed so was no stranger to taking what I though was calculated risks. But I hope to get wiser with age.

About 6 years ago my wife wanted a dump truck so I said I'm not going to have both a pickup and a dump so the pickup was sold and bought a used loaded F-350 DRW 4x4 turbo diesel with integrated factory brake controller. We didn't buy this truck specifically for towing but the first time I towed, I was blown away by the INCREASE in STABILITY due to the DRW and extra weight which improves the margin of safety especially in unexpected situations. Unloaded the truck weighs 9750lb. Towing a 8500GVW trailer.

Strictly speaking from a towing standpoint, if I had to drive this truck regularly for transportation and small hauling needs of which a standard SRW pickup is commonly used for vs trailer towing a handful of times per year, I agree the extra size can be cumbersome in tight areas or narrow roads like we have in my neck of the woods. I might not think the trade-off of a more bulky DRW is worth it. If my trailer GVW was 10k or over, I'd raise the priority of DRW tow vehicle.

No question in my mind a DRW truck adds a significant margin of safety when towing. The heavier the load, the more the safety margin becomes a factor. Can some of that margin be offset by a proper weight distributing hitch, and proper tongue weight adjustment on a SRW along with safe driving habits? Absolutely it can with an experienced alert driver, good route planning and avoiding congested areas/rush hours around cities. Even the safest of drivers can have an accident as we humans and those around us are not perfect. An accident while pulling a classic car is very ugly.

So its going to come down to how much you tow and in what terrain, how much you will need to use the tow vehicle for other transportation, and your experience level towing in general.

When I bought my enclosed trailer I got dual 5500# axles with brakes on both axles.  I wanted to be sure that the trailer would stop when I put the brakes on.

3500# axles are / usually the norm when buying from a lot and not all trailers have brakes on both axles, at least when I was buying my trailer.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

I drive a 2001 Dodge dually diesel  . Wouldn't have any thing else . The one before this was 3/4 dodge with 300.000 miles never did much to it .  Love the sound going down the road . You know you are driving a truck not some toy !  As you for fuel ,I get about 13 mpg pulling a 30 ft  Gooseneck . Kings32

I am a firm believer in Duallys for towing. I use a 2005 GMC crew cab diesel Dually for my smaller trailer and flatbed. I decided after a uncomfortable trip with the dually and enclosed trailer where I was running through the mountains and had a scare with panic braking. There was a accident directly in front of me on a long down hill stretch where i had to slam the breaks. the trailer was heavily loaded. I managed to avoid the crash but left it thinking that even the Dually was not enough. I regularly tow large cars ie Full Classics. i did some shopping around and bought the truck pictured. A 2008 Frieghtliner M2 business class with a sportchassis conversion purchased new. it has a 8.3 cummins and more brakes than you could ever want. I can load the trailer to full weight capacity and drive for 12 hours and arrive feeling not tired or worn out. the bigger the truck the safer you are! my GMC dually is seen in the background. Also being a crewcab there is lots of room for the kids and all their junk.

P6280341.JPG

• Like 1