1939 Dodge Vin number

Guest joedaless

Guest joedaless

Hi,

I really need some help. I just bought a 1939 Dodge Coupe all stock. The serial number that is on the title is on a plate on the firewall. The plate is just a plain plate with the number on it.

Is this correct and did they ever put a serial plate on the firewall that would correspond with a title number.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated....Joe

Also where can I buy a serial vin tag.....

The VIN # plate on the firewall is correct. It sits on a seperate plate underneath the Manufacturers plate. There is no plate for a title number as that is issued by the state where the title is from and has nothing to do with the vehicle itself. Hope this helps.

The VIN # plate on the firewall is correct. It sits on a seperate plate underneath the Manufacturers plate. There is no plate for a title number as that is issued by the state where the title is from and has nothing to do with the vehicle itself. Hope this helps.

Huh? Is Dodge different than all the other Chrysler product makes for the era?

There should be a serial number on the right (passenger) door hinge post. Serial numbers for that era are 6 or 7 digit numeric numbers.

There should be an engine number on the block just above the generator (and also stamped on the driver side frame rail in the area of the rear axle kick up). Engine numbers start with the engineering code of the vehicle (D11 for 1939 Dodge) and then a sequence number starting from 1001.

There should be a body number on the firewall. The body number tag seems to vary in form and the number seems to vary in format based on the supplier of the body.

Some states used the serial number to register the car.

Many states used the engine number to register the car.

I've never heard of a state using the body number.

If you get the serial number off the door hinge post you can enter it into my look up form at Plymouth First Decade: Where is the VIN? to see what it corresponds to.

As Ply33 says...check the passenger side front door hinge post ("A" pillar) for the v.i.n., NOT the firewall.