banjo rear end and mothballs.

Guest greg walsh

Guest greg walsh

I have two questions, 1. What is a banjo rear end, is it one that has a real low gear ratio or a certain type, I've heard the term before and 2. I've heard of putting mothballs in the aircleaner for an increase in octane is there any truth to that? I know about sawdust in the rear end somebody even said bananna peels.

Basically, the banjo rearend has the axle housings bolted to the sides. An example would be a model A ford Rearend with a torque tube. From the side it resembles a banjo.

I have heard that in the early days some of the old time hot rodders would put mothballs in the gas tank to increase octane. Never hear of it in an aircleaner but who knows? Dandy Dave!

The banjo rear axle was used in Fords from the model T days to 1948. It had a distinctive design with a center section with 2 trumpet like sides bolted on. The center section resembled a banjo, thus banjo rear end.

Mothballs in the gas to increase octane was an old trick. I have heard it debunked by oil companies as a myth. But there were times a few years ago when I definitely smelled mothballs in the gas when I was filling my car so they must have been putting camphor in the gas.

The "T" rear end was not a "banjo" They began building them in 28 on the first "A"s. 48 was the last year, I believe

Yup. The T has two halves that bolt together and is not a banjo type. Been there, done that. Almost anyone that has had a model T in recent years has had to take the rearend apart and replace the original babbit side thrust washers with new bronze replacments if it was not done previously. Dandy Dave!