ABS and brake light

Guest buddydog

Guest buddydog

Just inherited a 1989 Reatta. Working on several things but one that I need assistance on is: when the brake pedal is depressed, regardless of speed, the ABS light and brake light come on for less than 2 seconds. It does not feel like the ABS is working while the light is on, however, it is such a short time that I am not sure. As soon as the light goes off, ABS works fine. Any suggestions?

Guest spiering.lucas

STOP!!! driving the car immediately!!! IF i could i would show you a picture of my first reatta after driving it with the abs light on i would. Lets just say the car is totaled!! The car has brake issues and the brakes could fail at any moment. First thing you need to do is replace the accumulator and the the abs pressure switch. This should fix your problem. but i can not reiterate the fact enough that you need to STOP driving that car immediately

As mentioned, first take the brake test. The most common issue is the accumulator. Replacement units usually have a white sticker with "made in Germany". It spins on and off like an oil filter but make sure to relieve pressure first.

Available from Amazon or others. p/n 25528382 .

Note the braking system is best thought of as two independent systems - boost (red light) and ABS (yellow light) with the provision that anything that turns the red light on will also turn off the ABS so both lights will be on.

The parking brake is the only thing that can turn the red light on by itself.

The Teves is found in many european cars & as long as well maintained they work extremely well. From the description it sounds like an accumulator problem however if left unattended it can strain the other boost components particularly the motor.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Guest Richard D

I had the same problem, new accumulator fixed it, however I would still do the brake test. If you do replace the accumulator make sure you relieve the system pressure by pushing the brake pedal with key off at least 35-40 times, then wrap a rag or paper towel around the bottom of the old one to catch any spilled brake fluid. It will destroy paint.

Welcome to the forum, as a new Reatta owner you will want to go to Ronnie's site, http://reattaowner.com/roj/index.php Lots of great information and tips.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)