Tom Moretti RIP

Dave Mitchell

I'm very sad to report the passing of Tom Moretti. Tom was a good friend and a real gentleman who made friends with everyone - it didn't matter to Tom if you were a ditch digger or a billionaire - if you liked cars you were ok, and he would help you out all he could. He had great knowledge of Packards, especially his favorites - V12s from 1932 to 1936, of which he owned seven prime examples. On five occasions he showed cars at Pebble Beach - all of which were done in his own shop in his spare time - all five times he won his class, this is surely a record for an owner/restorer, and is to be envied by professional shops. I suspect his next restoration would have been a contender at Pebble too. I once lost a best of show trophy to Tom, but I didn't mind a bit, and I know others who feel the same way. Tom had an excellent sense for color and authenticity and did his homework on the cars. As much as Tom loved showing his cars, I think he loved working on them even more. Once a project was nearing completion, Tom was already hunting for another one and if he didn't find one right away, he detailed all the other cars endlessly until he pounced on the next total restoration. The cars that he did will stand for many years as testimony to his talents as a restorer and historian. Tom also loved to drive the cars and went on many tours in them.

Beyond his love of cars, Tom was a good and caring friend, always greeting me with a big smile and an embrace, making me know he was really happy to see me. He was cheerful, even when things weren't going his way - like the time I pointed out the cracked winshield in his nearly completed show car - and he was always thrilled when I pulled out just the part that he needed or shared with him how we solved a problem like he was having. He could give me advice like a father and still treat me like an equal. He was just a pal. I will truly miss him.

Tom served 9 years as a CCCA national director, was a regional director and officer, served on the National Awards, Classifications, Finance and Long Range Planning committees for many years.

Dave Mitchell<!-- google_ad_section_end -->