Sign in to follow this  
DocsGal

Locking Fuel Caps

I just thought I would put this out here to see if there was any interest before I posted a ton of pictures. I have more than fifteen locking fuel caps available of various ages, types, sizes and qualities. I have all the details such as the dimensions, what type of gasket they have, how deep the insert portion is, etc. I will post a few pictures and if anyone is truly interested please feel free to get back to me and I will go ahead and post more pictures under my profile and then people can ask me further questions about specific caps then. That's the only way I can think to do it without posting a huge listing of fuel caps, since I have no idea what vehicles these may apply to. I am sure they fit multiple vehicles based on their dimensions and look since locking fuel caps are an after-market accessory.

These caps are mostly in excellent condition and are going to sell for about $20.00 so they are very reasonably priced. The lock/actuating mechanism is smooth, lubed with white grease and clear of any corrosion. Thanks for looking and please contact me if you would like more information.

Thanks!

Sharon

DocsGal

post-58481-143138571278_thumb.jpg

post-58481-14313857128_thumb.jpg

post-58481-143138571282_thumb.jpg

post-58481-143138571285_thumb.jpg

post-58481-143138571287_thumb.jpg

Sharon,

I think you are pretty much correct about these being after market accessories, with at least one caveat. By the mid thirties, I believe many mfg, including GM and Ford, offered locking caps as dealer accessories. These, when one can verify, generally command surprising prices. Some of these had flappers stamped GM or Ford. Sometimes they had a design quite unique, sufficient to verify they were proprietary caps (although one must be privy to the design to know which). I may be mistaken, but I believe the first one you picture is a GM from the mid to late 30s (am thinking Buick circa 1937). I think in general, that mfg. approved caps were a higher quality cap in most cases. Am hoping to hear from someone more knowledgeble about these caps? Not trying to hijack your post, just thinking it might be good stuff to know if we can pry it loose from someone here.

I stand corrected. I actually have a couple caps that ARE dealer equipment. I have (I'm pretty sure) an AMC Hornet fuel cap, and have had a couple Corvette caps, so you are right. I am not familiar with the ones that do not have at least some sort of marking to help out though so if you know someone-or if someone here can help identify I would HUGELY appreciate it. I sure could use the extra money they would bring right about now. I know they are much more valuable than $20 so I guess I will have to do more homework before I start letting them go. I have quite a few of these older caps that are quite heavy and very well made so they may well be in that department. My dad had them all well-lubed and the lock action in them all is smooth as silk.

West-Yes I do have a couple with logos. Are you looking for one in particular? Most of these don't have logos though so I will have to go digging for the ones besides the Hornet that was mixed up with them.

Thanks for that eagle eye, Prs519-I'll look underneath all the gaskets for numbers and see what I can find.

Sharon

Docs Gal

I would be interested in buying a several of the caps with the switch covers. I have several old Buick,s 20,s ,30,s, 40,s & 50,s . I believe they would fit a couple of the cars. You can send me a massage.

Just for the sake of identifying the models of cars these caps go to, I am going to move this post over to the 'What Is It' Forum and hope that someone will take pity on me and help me identify the models/years of cars these caps may go to. I will post some more pictures there, with the dimensions that belong to the caps. I have looked on Ebay and they have some caps by Stant that are similar but they all look pretty generic compared to what I have so can't really use that as a comparison except for picture #3. They had that one identified as belonging to a 60-63 Ford Falcon but I noticed they do NOT list dimensions or part numbers, just that it is 'in the box'. Most of these caps I have DO NOT have a part number so I am having to go by the size of the insertion point into the fuel inlet and the gasket. I have found a couple with numbers underneath the sliding lock cover and will give those when it applies. If anyone has better guidelines I am open to suggestions.

I will try to get pictures and listings moved over to the other Forum tomorrow.

Thanks guys and hopefully someone can help me identify some of these caps.

DocsGal