PCV Setup for 64 non-air 394

Update:I got pretty much everything I need for the original setup. Thanks to all who've helped in any way.... you know who you are. If a moderator would like to delete this thread, he or she can be my guest.... there may be some valuable info for the future, however.... just don't know whether this is the venue to store it.

John

--------------------------------

Still searching for decent original PCV setup for my 64 SF convertible. Names or locations of yards that might be able to help? Leads appreciated! (Send me a PM or e-mail.)

Edited by Bee-Oh-Pee
Updagte (see edit history)

I thought PVC was standard equipment in 64?

I retrofitted the 62 Starfire I owned at the time. The plate mounted under the carb - the PVC valve - some hose - made hole in valve cover - grommet and a little piece of tubing.

May be tough to get the plate nowadays. On my 56 Olds - i enlarged the vacuum port at the rear of the carb to handle both the PVC system and the power brakes.

I have a gasket plate made out of hard Bakelite plastic for a 56 Packard that I was going to use but it got broke in shipping.

It came from California to retro fit the older cars - maybe someone has a source in sunny CA for 2 and 4 barrel PVC plates - I would still like to get a a few of them.

Ron

All I'm looking for is the factory hardware between the valve cover and the snorkel for my non-air 394.

Thanks!

John

John I believe the PCV setup was the same from '62 to the end of 394 production. This should widen your possibilities of finding a 100% original factory setup, which was really very simplistic. While possible to find a PCV valve that will fit the grommet for the draft tube you will want to find a correct valve cover to make it right.

Jim

These systems are not same from '62 to '64. In '62 they ran a hose from the valve cover to the pcv valve which is in a spacer plate below the carburetor. In '63 the pcv valve was placed in the valve cover and they ran a hose from the valve to the air cleaner snorkel (on 4-bbl cars - 2-bbl cars started with a hose and were later changed over to a metal pipe, with or without a/c). I believe in '64 the 4-bbl hose was replaced with a metal tube. My parts book only goes up to '63. The '62 pcv valve works on engine vacuum directly through the spacer plate. The '63 valve works on vacuum from a tee in the line that serves the power brakes. '62 used a breather in the opposite valve cover. Apparently '63 and '64 didn't use a breather (or it was somehow part of the pcv valve).

Paul

63-64 used an "open" type oil filler cap with a foam filter element as PCV fresh air intake.

I'm pretty sure the RH 64 valve cover is set up for a "D" shaped grommet same as later Oldsmobiles used for their PCV breathers, and those grommets are readily available thru Dorman/Motormite. The hole in it is large enough to accommodate the funky 63-64 PCV valve.

I checked my parts book that goes through 1965 - the part your looking for is a metal pipe. Goes from the air cleaner snorkel to a piece of rubber hose into the PVC valve. The 63 version looks nearly the same but uses all hose. A/C or non A/C use the same parts as long as it is 394 and 4 barrel.

Ron

Thanks, Ron. Good info... I had been told that the 64 w/ air had the plumbing on the driver's side, but after doing more research, I see you're right. Should make it a little less difficult to find.... still waiting for a lead. Keeping my pole in the water, so to speak....

NOS PCV valves show up cheap every so often. Grp 1.745 p/n 6418408, 63 all, 64 except closed PCV, F85 or Jetstar 88. I'm thinking it also goes by AC CV-459 or 495, but all my spares are packed away and I can't get at them easily to get the AC number.

The correct black painted oil fill cap is grp 1.758, p/n 6418507, 63-64 all except closed pcv, F85 or J88. The filter element for the cap is p/n 5649172 but a piece of closed-cell foam rubber (like a window unit A/C seal) or even an aluminum or copper pot scrubber does very well in that app. You need to oil it like you do a lawnmower airfilter.

The PCV valve to aircleaner pipe is grp 1.762 p/n 384116, 1964 394-4BC except closed PCV. It cost 77 cents in 1974- half what the cap filter cost. If you can't find one, I daresay you could bend one from some 1/2" or 5/8" conduit, you just wouldn't have the swages on the ends.

Thanks, folks. My only real desire is to find a used setup somewhere, from a good samaritan who has a parts car and looks at this board. The odds of finding this (especially new) on flea-bay are pretty slim, if not infinitesimal... but yes, I do have a search for it I look at regularly. If I could find the plumbing, I'd worry about the valve itself later; even if I had an aftermarket valve with the factory plumbing and connectors, I'd be pretty happy for now.

Thanks again for the input....

• 2 weeks later...

Bee-Oh-Pee,

I ran accross a website that lists one of the parts you seek. It's called

NOS Parts From the Past - Home. On page 82 of the Oldsmobile parts listings, is part #

6418408, Crankcase Ventilation Valve Assembly. I believe that may be the valve that plugs into the starboard valve cover.

If it would be helpful, I will take a photo of the setup on my 64' Starfire so you have a point of reference. Let me know.

Kelly

Hi, Kelly. Thanks for the effort.... I can get a valve for the car.... the real part I need is the pipe from the snorkel to the valve cover. But sure, if you'd like to send me a couple close-ups of your setup, it would be appreciated. Thanks again....

• 2 weeks later...

TTT

Come on, guys & gals... somebody go out to that old parts car and score me that PCV tube! (OK, OK, I know not everybody's spare parts bins are teeming with these things.)

It's just that the car is so close to being absolutely complete... and I haven't had a bit of luck with the on-line salvage yards. (A pretty independent lot, they are... although I did get a nice original jack).

I still need a complete spare tire, as well, if anyone can help me out in that department.

Thanks in advance.

John,

If you have any interest, I will check with a couple local shops about fabricating the tube for you (since I have an original to use as a pattern). If they have the ability to swedge the ends properly, should be pretty simple.

Kelly

No, I haven't, Don. I bought a couple exhaust manifolds for my old Buick from them about 10 years ago, and they were pretty shaky. I guess most of these things are hit and miss. Have you had luck with them? Maybe I should give them a shot... this is such a weird part to be describing... I kept hoping against hope somebody who was familiar with it would have had a spare, but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have some sort of picture/photo of what you need exactly??

Where does the hose or tube connect at each end?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Did all 64's have the PCV setup and is there a difference between the 2 brl's and 4 brl's??

OK, thanks to all, here's the "tube" that came only on '64 394 4-Vs, possibly 49-state models, although I know I've been set straight on this before. If it's a '64 394 4-V, it probably had this setup from the factory. I'm looking for everything between the snorkel and the valve cover, although I know I can get the grommets and the heater-hose type connectors myself. The tube and the disk-shaped doo-dad with the vacuum connector are the real parts I'm interested in.

Thanks!

post-75254-143138620304_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bee-Oh-Pee
attach pic (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought a 62 Starfire that was built in California. I have the nub on the aircleaner, but the rest of the pcv stuff isn't there. The previous owner put in the orig. chrome road draft tube.. Is there any real different between the pcv setup and the road draft tube every other place used? I noticed a lot of fumes come from the road draft tube when the car is running at idle, and after I shut the car off, some fumes come out of the oil filler cap (which I guess is normal). I would like to try to find an orig. setup myself if it is possible. I don't know if the carb spacer is still under the carb. I guess if all else fails, I could just get another aircleaner without the nub.

The PCV system was not connected to the air cleaner in '62. There was a hose running out of the passenger side valve cover that connected to the valve in the base plate you are referring to. There was a breather in the driver side valve cover. That was it. Someone probably replaced your air cleaner with a newer one.

Paul

Ah very interesting!!!!! I haven't been able to find any pictures of the 62 PCV setup but I have been looking all over. Maybe I should just get a 62 aircleaner? The valve covers must have been switched as well, since there is no hole for a breather on the drivers side. There is just the hole and downdraft tube on the pass side. Thanks for the information! Now if I can find some pictures....