fender alignments

Guest Recian

Guest Recian

Ive seen a few reattas that are more abused than the nice low mileage ones you guys have and they've got issues with the fenders out of alignment especially around the turn signal lens and headlight assy's. Its not the best pic but mine has the same problem and im wondering what kind of adjustments i can do

P6010034600x450.jpg

Guest steveskyhawk

The headlight door has lots of adjustment available. All four corners can be adjusted up or down by adding or subtracting washers located between the headlight door and the headlight bucket.

The fenders have no adjustment up or down. They can be moved in and out a little.

The headlights also have no adjustments as the holes were drilled specifically to fit in one place only.

You can jury-rig the headlight covers with washers like Steve does but they were not designed to do so.

There are adjustments in the filler panel support. This is the panel that holds the parking light assemblies. If your gaps are quite far out of align then you need to replace the filler panel support but if they are close there are slotted holes on the support and on the vertical supports that hold the filler panel in place. These can be moved in and out and up and down.

Once you have the filler panel lined up with the hood and headlight covers you can then adjust the bumper.

The bumper supports have slotted holes in them so you can move the bumper up or down in the front so it will be tight against the filler panel.

The only place GM used spacers is on the bumper. The spacers will move the bumper in and out and you can add or take away spacers between the impact bar and the supports on the top or bottom to raise and lower the bumper at it's ends where it comes around at the wheel opening.

As an example, adding spacers at the bottom bolts on the supports and then tightening the top bolts pulls the ends up.

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

You can jury-rig the headlight covers with washers like Steve does but they were not designed to do so.

Every Reatta headlight door I've ever messed with (5 cars, 10 headlights) had varying amounts of washers on the studs to achieve good alignment. Obviously hasn't been as many as Jim's seen but it seemed like that was how the factory got 'em to line up to me.

Guest mgibson

Agreed, Roger. I have observed the same thing on my Reattas. I feel confident using washers was the factory alignment method!

I have to respectfully disagree that the factory added washers. I have also taken apart headlight covers that had washers under them and in every case they looked like hardware store washers and not something GM would have put there.

My experience with GM is that washers are considered added expense and rarely seen except as captive. OTOH shims are common in some areas but are usually designed to slide in place.

That said the Craft Center did things in ways that were sometimes not mainstream GM. Suspect we need to ask someone who worked at the plant.

When I repaired the passenger side light on my car, it had washers under the headlight cover too. As my car has been in our family since new, I can almost guarantee you it came from the Craft Centre that way. Though I suppose there is a small possibility they were added during dealer prep 20 years ago.

BTW, there is a Porsche 944 owner near me who has a car with a bullet dent in the rear. Seems the car had a sordid past, and got into a police chase... When he bought the car he had to repair a number of things on the right side as a result of the chase. Bullet dent was still there last time I saw his car though. I think he considers it a badge of honor.

At least that is the story he tells... :)

Guest Recian

Ive had both of mine apart already and the 2 i took from the junkyard 89. 4 lights and they didnt have washers under them. But i think my headlight alignment is ok it's lined up with the hood and fender but the lower valance between them and the bumper seems to be sitting crooked. I was told they have shocks in the bumper that go in/out kind of like a shock absorber in case of a crash, and when the previous owner bought the car the bumper was pushed so far back that it was against the tire (on the right side where im having problems) and he had to pull it back out cuz he couldnt get new shocks. I dont know how he pulled it back out but i talked to him about it today and that's what he told me so maybe i can take the lower valance off and push up the metal bumper as hard as i can til it bends back and lines back up? lol

Guest Richard D

An aligment problem that developed after my car was painted was caused by the PO. The hood struts were week and hood would not stay up so the PO just replaced one of them. after a year I noticed the hood began to look twisted when closed. It turns out that to save 20 bucks he just replaced one strut and after awhile it caused the drivers side hinge to get loose. Always replace your support struts in pairs. I now have to buy two struts, one hinge, and have the paint touched up on the edge of the drivers side headlamp door and hood.