63 Impala no power at all?????????

Guest ktm858

Guest ktm858

My impala started fine then as I was driving it I lost ALL power. Checked the battery terminals tight, checked wires on the starter tight, checked wiring looks good. I ended up taking the power wire that goes to the horn relay and connecting it to the + on the coil then jumpped the starter and it got me home. I changed the solinoid thinking that was it and nothing. Headlights, interior lights, and dash lights dont work and the ket does nothing at all.

Any suggestions???????

Guest 47jag

It sounds like an open ballast resistor. Is it GM cars that use a length of resistor wire? I can't recall. If you can't find a ceramic resistor then this is what to look for.

Art

Guest Bob Call

I would start with the ignition switch. Next the ignition resistor. I don't recall if this model had a ballast resistor or a resistor wire. If it's a ballast it's white ceramic about 3 inches long, 3/4 inch high by 3/4 inch wide located near the coil and the wire type is inline in the ignition curcit and has a white woven insulation and again near the coil.

Guest rsd9699

Have you checked for hidden corrosion where the cable wire is going inside the battery terminal? Been there - done that - post and terminal looked clean but jiggled the cable and had power. The ring terminals govmo used back in the days of gassing batteries did weird things to the electrical system - especially if not a daily driver. Back in those days - I would check the oil and wipe the dip stick off with my fingers. Then use the oil on my fingers to wet the terminal posts to help check the battery corrosion.

Ron

Guest mercman86
Have you checked for hidden corrosion where the cable wire is going inside the battery terminal? Been there - done that - post and terminal looked clean but jiggled the cable and had power. The ring terminals govmo used back in the days of gassing batteries did weird things to the electrical system - especially if not a daily driver. Back in those days - I would check the oil and wipe the dip stick off with my fingers. Then use the oil on my fingers to wet the terminal posts to help check the battery corrosion.

Ron

X2

Had the same problem that you described and it was my cables that were corroded internally. Started up fine, drove 100 miles. When I went to leave, nothing, just like what you have. Jiggled the cables and luckily I got home, but due to my grounding problem caused by corrosion my headlights were a little dimmer than usual. Changed all my battery cables and starter solenoid for safety and all has been fine!