Disc Brake,48 Continental??

Hi;If I remember correct it is possible to exchange the front spindle assy.from the first disc brake ford P/Us to the Lincoln?This was supposed to be about a direct swap from the kingpin and the 5 1/2"bolt pattern!Looking to improve the brake effectivness on mine!Just received the new flex hoses and will install see if they help! Easier to look for them if someone would know which ones it was!!I think I have seen the proper brake Master cylinder for this conbination on some of the old car sites,I think the one for the ford of the same year should fit if I rmember correctly I used a ford one on my other Lincoln!Thanks for any ideas!!!

Several aftermarket companies sell kits for Ford, which also will work for Lincoln. Try Speedway Motors - Street Rod Parts, Race Parts, Ford Flathead Parts, Sprint and Midget Racing Parts, Pedal Car Parts. Some kits use the Ford PU rotors with 5 1/2 bolt circle. The GM replacement kits need new wheels and conflict with the rear wheels for spare tire. You'll also need a proportioning valve for front to back, and possibly a anti-drainback valve.

New power brake master cylinder is also advised. However, the double diaphragm boosters that fit under the floor put the fill cap out of alignment with the hole in the Lincoln floor, so you then need a remote fill kit, and probably a hole in the cross member to fit the longer master cylinder. You also need to plumb in a brake light switch. Let us know how this works, I'm thinking about disk brakes too.

Abe

Abe, Can we get a parts list to do this exchange? I have had a terrible experience with my '48LC I had to fly thru a 4way stop. The brakes were

totally without effect--setting all winter. Another long range project.

Glenn Lorei b6vt

Glenn:

The manual drum brakes should work better than that. Maybe you have moisture or a wheel cylinder isn't working?

Since I haven't done the disk conversion yet, I recalled a thread of someone who did http://forums.aaca.org/f128/48-lincoln-front-disc-conversion-287022.html?nojs=1#links.

My take was to look in the Speedway motors catalog and order the parts needed, but any old Ford supply place should have what we need. I already did get a Power master cylinder and adapt to the Lincoln pedal with a steel plate, threaded rod, and long adjusting nut. Would have been simpler to get a Ford pedal and power master cylinder assembly. Seems to work OK though.

Abe

• 1 year later...

Has anyone installed the kit from speedway looks good for $320?They say ford and got no reply when questioned them about fit for the LIncoln?I think the spindles are the same?Do I need the dual master cylinder and the other valves also.Mine stops poorly would be happy with the drums if would stop others seem to get better results did take them apart clean and check but didn't replace the linings only some of the pistons with new kits! Drums are smooth but wonder about some better brake linings would like to avoid the disc cost if possible!Thanks!

Did you check the brake lines? I had to replace a couple that were plugged after sitting for 30+ years, found some at NAPA that I bent to approximate the original. The master cylinder was also bad, and I replaced with an aftermarket dual diaphragm power unit. My local friction supply had rear wheel cylinders, and kits for the front. Doesn't stop like disk brakes, but is nearly as good as my drum brake '56. My understanding is a Ford disk kit would fit a Lincoln. Old time hot rodders used to put Lincoln brakes on Fords.

You need a new master cylinder with disk brakes as the volume and pressure for front disks is different than for the rear drums. A residual valve is useful in the front brakes as the disk pads sit closer to the disks and have a slight drag compared to drum brakes. This should be less an issue with under floor master cylinder. You also get a margin of safety as if one end failed, the other set would still stop the car. A proportioning valve in the rear brake line lets you set the balance between front and back.

Abe

Hi:I would be satisfied with reasonable brake could live without the disc ones.I had a 47 that had Hydro-Vac -Booster on it and at least it stoped pretty good.As I think now I did replace the master cyl with a stock one on it though!This one like many of the drum cars I remember it may dive one way or the other without to much warning when brakes are applied!It gets your attention!If I drag the brakes heavy for a little while then can count on straight stops for a bit!Makes me think that better replace the linings,I understand there are some places that make a softer lining that has more grip than the modern hard lining?I did try to set up the brakes the other day but not much better takes very high pedal pressure to get much effect!The linings themselves look pretty good and we did replace couple drums on it,but they had been badly soaked from bad wheel cylinders?We did replace the front brakes hoses on it already!No outward sign of fluid leak anymore back plates seem dry!Talked to friend that bought the 47 from 25 years ago when he bought a 48 and he still has the drum brakes on it and he uses his even on some long trips so yes I guess they can work!Appreciatte your thoughts!Thanks!Bob

Moodier;You might want to check to see if the Rear brakes are indeed working properly .. I had the same problem some time ago and found that the Flex hose to the Rear brakes was swollen just about shut on the inside ..I would jack up the Rear and let the car Idle in gear and apply the Brakes(be sure to Block the Front wheels),see if the wheels stop turning ,also check to see if they Release right away when you Release the Brake Pedal. If the wheels do not turn right away when the brake Pedal is Released the hose may be only Partially blocked and the rear brakes are hanging up and getting hot and you are losing braking power.. It took me a while to find the problem with my car..Another Possibility is that the rod the Master Cylinder is not Adjusted Correctly and all the Brakes are not releasing all the way and all of the brakes are dragging and getting hot..Go for a Ride and When you get back feel the wheels to see if they are Hot ..Also if the Brakes don't release right away the master cylinder May be "Gummed Up"..All These are Possibilities ,There is Other I'm Sure..CH

I did a disc brake swap on my 48 conv. coupe. you can use any of the ford brake kits for 40-48, The only problem with the 48 spindle is the almost square section that the backing plate mounts to, The kits are made for the round style spindle, just trim the edges back a little to get the clearance you need and they will work perfect. I used a chevy corvette master cylinder and ran seperate lines for front and back, make it a lot safer in case one side goes out. also you will have to add an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes (summit racing has them cheap) and a 10lb residual pressure valve for the rear and 2lb for the front since the master cylinder is a little lower than the brakes.