Sign in to follow this  
noncompos

Marmon Teetor-Hartley Engine Help Needed

The original Marmon Wasp engine may've been a special one-off Teetor-Hartley. Coker Tire acquired a T-H six from a fire truck in building their copy. (T-H's were reportedly built 1903?1907 to 1918/1919 (into 1920's???).

Various T-H thumbnails say T-H furnished engines (plural) to Marmon, so must've been used in some production models as well.

Coker tire has my set down as part of a spam network (??) and won't accept email; my post for info on honestcharliegarage Wasp copy building report goes unanswered, as does email to Marmon Club.

Does any Club member here have access to Marmon history re' T-H engines being used in Wasp (old and new) and/or production models, and/or will try for info from Coker or honestcharlie re' what make/model/year fire truck the "new" six came from???

While I've found no references to T-H's in trucks, another T-H six, apparently from a "Cosmopolitan" fire truck (an ALF model per Google) was on prewarcars awhile back.

Any help with this appreciated!! Many thxx!! Bud

Cokers may be using a Teeter Hartley engine in their copy of the wasp but the original wasp was built with a Marmon engine. The six cylinder engine was based on the model 32 four cylinder engine that was released in the fall of 1908. Later Marmon put out a model 48 with a six cylinder that was based on their Indy engine. I doubt very seriously that Marmon ever used any engines built by other manufacturers. At least there is no record of it in any history I have read. They were always known for using more of their own parts than almost any other manufacturer. Howard Marmon started out designing everything and pretty much stayed that way. The Marmon Club is a small club and your email may not have been noticed. Give them a little time.

NR: Many thxx for reply. My lib has a copy of the Marmon Book of Facts, but it's downtown, for in-house ref only, and going downtown is a major undertaking...

Did Marmon build their own T-head of the period?? I ask as Corky Cokers blog re' their Wasp replica says:

5-12-11 entry: the fire truck pictured engine was "...very close match...original 6 cyl T-head..." and that the fire truck engine is "...era correct, and very close to the original Marmon engine...". That entry also said they reinforced the engine-area frame for the replacement engine, but they didn't specifically say if the "new" engine was that much heavier or if the original racer frame was trying to save weight.

5-18 entry: that the original 6 cyl T-head was 'one-off" and the fire truck engine was "...almost identical to the original.." Which could mean, of course, that the fire truck, and the "Cosmopolitan" fire truck in prewarcars, had Marmon T-heads...(I'm trying to get accepted to post on alfowners).

Teetor-Hartley reportedly shut down (sold??) the engine business in 1918, concentrating on piston rings, becoming Indiana Piston Ring Co and then Perfect Circle; I believe the PC website says T-H sold off the "handbuilt" engine business (curious terminology??)...other references imply T-H engines may've been used up into 1921-24, which seems a long time for leftover production.

This's actually in connection with XP's Pilot/Davis/McF thread in the General forum, we'd appreciate any further enlightenment re' Marmon.

It wouldn't be surprising if "provided engines to Marmon" really meant Marmon bought a few just for investigating, to see what other builders were producing.

Yes Marmon did build their own Thead. As I mentioned before they built the wasp six by adding another jug from their stock model 32 four cylinder engine which they used from 1909 to 1915 I believe. Starting in 1913 they basically put the same six in their model 48s. I believe that one other Marmon, a four cylinder also finished in the money at Indy placing something like third or fourth. These engines were completely Marmon designs, even having such features as full pressure lubrication. I am unaware of Marmon selling any engines to anyone else.

Edited by nickelroadster
addition (see edit history)

NR: Many thxx for reply; please forgive late reply--experiencing internet connection problems, unable to get into site until just now. Will pass on any info (if any found) re' any T-H in the Marmon Wasp and/or Marmon engine in fire truck/s, if that's what it turns out to be. Bud

Hi Bud,,I have here a Teetor//no hartley markings,,1913 Pilot,,nice car,,bore 4,,stroke 6,, 6cyl,,good hill climber,,,JUST like the book says

Some years ago a friend had a Teetor engine in a American,,5,,3/8" bore 5,,1/2" stroke4cyl strange oiling system,,in both,,,but it works,,,Call me if you wish,,207-793-2800,,,Ben