Dash lights went out!!!

ptt

1990 Convertuible. Entire dash display went out and wisp of smoke from the vents! Starts fine just a dark blank display. Where to start? Fuses? Dont like the fact there was smoke from under the dash!:eek: The climate control display is working fine with the outside temp display and digital readout/settings. Blower Fan working. Is there something that regulates the dash that may have burned out? Thanks.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Headlight switches have been know to smoke and would be in that location, but would not take out the IPC persay directly, and other things would not be working as well.

IPC get power thru HVAC fuse #9 and via the Central Power Supply on fuse #6.

Check them first.

CPS in a 90 is on the side of the lower console I believe so I don't know why the smoke would appear to come out of the vents.

The wife was driving the car when it had this issue come up. Her decsription may be somewhat unreliable. She is the type that inserts key, starts car and aims....so the presents of smoke could mean anything really. Ill check the #6 & #9 fuses and follow up. Thanks.

I'm guessing the power supply inside the IPC (instrument cluster) burned up. The second most common failure on the 1990/91 cluster, topped only by the dreaded "00/error" readouts that occur when the cluster's CPU/logic develops bad solder joints and no longer receives data from the BCM as a result.

There are several capacitors and some transistors that go bad due to age and environment stress (heat/vibration) and when this occurs, you loose all displays except the telltale lights at the lower corners. The transistors burning up can (and often do) cause visible smoke, and an unmistakable odor. I have a number of clusters waiting to be repaired that have these parts visible burned, and even split in a couple of cases from violent failure.

I will say with 99% certainty that changing the cluster will solve the problem. Especially since the climate control and other modules are still working. Failure of the CPS would take out more than just the cluster in a 1990 car.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Checked #6 & #9 fuzes and they are good. So entire cluster needs swapped? Are they available? Maybe Jim has one, hopefully. Ive changed instrument clusters in 89-95 lebaron GTC's before and the harness length in the dash made it very difficult to get them pluggged in. Reatta clusters as bad?

No, four screws (two over IPC and two at top of vents) and the bezel is out (make sure the chrome surround comes out with the black part). Four more (all T15 - I have a three inch long driver that works well) and the cluster is out. Plug is fixed in the back so inserting the IPC engages the plug.

Several suppliers have them though a UPullIt will be least expensive.

Guest steveskyhawk

I have lots of tested 90-91 clusters if you cant find one locally. Link to my eBay store below.

There is an excellant tutorial on the removal of the 90/91 cluster on Ronnies site. I recommend you go there and check that [and anything else that you may have concerns on] out. He has spent a great amount of time building a great data base for us to use.

There are many short cuts to repairs that will save you both time and money.

Thanks Ronnie.

Reatta Owners Journal - Home

I am also certain it is your IPC. I have seen several of them go up in smoke like yours. Instead of asking me first when smoke came from the IPC area on my brother in laws Riviera he pulled the whole dash out of the car thinking something burned behind the IPC. When he didn't find any burnt wires he put everything back together and I then put a good IPC from my car into his and it lit up. We then put his IPC in my car and smoke started coming from the unit.

I do have a good IPC available and have at lower prices than some sellers.

Jim