88 To 89 Teves Brake Assembly Swap?

Guest ArkDave

Guest Kitskaboodle
I was simply saying that the ABS light coming on isn't a reason to stop driving the car. The brake light, yes, but the ABS light just means you've lost ABS. As Andy stated above, I too have driven countless cars without ABS, and had no problem. When your brake light is coming on, then yes, you need to stop driving the car, and figure out what the problem is (which you obviously didn't do with your wrecked car). But ABS is a superfluous option. You don't need it to stop your car.

I do the brake test on all my cars every 4-6 months. Which I also believe others should too, just to be in touch with what condition your system is in, and such like that.

To be put simply, the Teves system is a great system if it's properly maintained.

A large majority of our cars had been reduced to daily transportation by someone who drove it and drove it until something went wrong, then it was fixed. Cars in general need to be checked regularly, and have maintenance performed on them. The Teves system benefits from having a fluid flush every time you have a brake job done, for example. If you keep and eye on your car, you can see a problem coming, and fix it before it turns into something drastic.

Oh, and thanks for calling me an idiot. That makes people want to listen to what you have to say a whole lot more.

Regards,

"I was simply saying that the ABS light coming on isn't a reason to stop driving the car. The brake light, yes, but the ABS light just means you've lost ABS"

After reading this particular quote I just have to point something out:

In my case, there was a very strong reason NOT to drive my Reatta while the ABS light was on. My car was doing something so diabolical and unpredictable that I almost slammed into the back of a Fiero while on a run with my club! In a matter of seconds my brake system practically went from hero to zero. I went from 100% braking power to about less than 10%. (and I do mean 10% or less...and that's with stomping on the pedal)

The point I'm making is that you may call it "just means you lost ABS" but the reality of my situation told me I was in BIG TROUBLE and I could have slammed into the back of that Fiero had I'd been driving any faster!

Do not under-estimate the power of the ABS light and what it can do if you dont address it. :(

Kit

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

"I was simply saying that the ABS light coming on isn't a reason to stop driving the car. The brake light, yes, but the ABS light just means you've lost ABS"

After reading this particular quote I just have to point something out:

In my case, there was a very strong reason NOT to drive my Reatta while the ABS light was on. My car was doing something so diabolical and unpredictable that I almost slammed into the back of a Fiero while on a run with my club! In a matter of seconds my brake system practically went from hero to zero. I went from 100% braking power to about less than 10%. (and I do mean 10% or less...and that's with stomping on the pedal)

The point I'm making is that you may call it "just means you lost ABS" but the reality of my situation told me I was in BIG TROUBLE and I could have slammed into the back of that Fiero had I'd been driving any faster!

Do not under-estimate the power of the ABS light and what it can do if you dont address it. :(

Kit

I almost guarantee that your brake light was on in conjunction with the ABS light though. If the system senses low pressure in the accumulator (sounds like your problem), then the ABS AND brake lights will come on.

Guest Double M

Wouldnt it be nice, if you had a common every day Emergency Brake in that situation? Then at least you could stop at the Gas Station to get it fixed instead of slamming into another Fiero.

It is quaint that they they thought that the system was sooo good that it didnt not need an Emergency Brake, and I understand why they felt this way, it was after all "State Of The Art" at the time, and I am sure it WAS. So was Disco, 8-Track tapes and Zeppelins in their days as well. I believe The Hindenburg was considered State of the Art too.

The fact that mechanics dont want to deal with it and/or charge high prices to work on it adds to the fact that these systems are not easy to maintain at all.

Again I am not trying to be disrepectfull in any way. I have gotten very good support and advice from this forum and its members that has helped me with my brake problems, but it is still a basically unsafe design that could use a little recognition instead of putting our head in the sand about it.

hindex2.jpg

Just to educate the rest of us........ what is your definition of a parking brake and emergency brake.

How do they differ and what cars came with emergency brakes?

I just pulled the factory service manual for my 1939 Buick and it has a "parking brake"

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Guest Double M

My definition is your definition. If you remember an earlier thread that I started last year, I was told by you and other members of this forum the difference. I was chastized for not knowing the difference and offended half the Reatta world by saying it was designed by the 3 stooges. But now it seems to help your position play ignorant. I do not understand your reluctance and sarcasm at all. I was educated on this forum as to these facts.

Guest Kitskaboodle
I almost guarantee that your brake light was on in conjunction with the ABS light though. If the system senses low pressure in the accumulator (sounds like your problem), then the ABS AND brake lights will come on.

At the particular moment my car "wigged out" (for lack of a proper term)

on that particular day both lights may have been on during the time this unpredictable event occured (which lasted all of 10-15 seconds) but to be honest I was kind of busy trying to avoid slamming into a Fiero. (so if the brake light came on also I was unaware of it) Other than these weird occurences the only light that EVER came on the dash was the ABS light. (never the brake light)

For the record, it was not the accumulator. It turned out my brand new "factory" (Made in Japan / AC-Delco) wheel sensors were flat out no good right out of the box!

Kit

At the particular moment my car "wigged out" (for lack of a proper term)

on that particular day both lights may have been on during the time this unpredictable event occured (which lasted all of 10-15 seconds) but to be honest I was kind of busy trying to avoid slamming into a Fiero. (so if the brake light came on also I was unaware of it) Other than these weird occurences the only light that EVER came on the dash was the ABS light. (never the brake light)

For the record, it was not the accumulator. It turned out my brand new "factory" (Made in Japan / AC-Delco) wheel sensors were flat out no good right out of the box!

Kit

If you are saying the Red brake light has never came on, even when you first started the car first thing in the morning, that is a glaring indicator that you had (have?) a problem with the Teves system. The red brake light should always come on when the pressure in the system is low... like when the car has been sitting overnight and the brake pressure has had time to escape from the accumulator.

Not to mention the recent pressure sensor episode. I can't help but wonder if your old pressure sensor had been 'wigging' for a while before it totally failed.

The Teves system (like all brake systems) require that warning lights not be ignored.

Admittedly the Teves system is more sensitive to neglect than standard braking systems, but at the time of production it was the only method to achieve anti-lock braking so it was clearly a net-add to one's safety.

If the pump-pump parking brake bothers you, D-a-n-i-e-l has already posted the solution, complete with a parts list.

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/bolt-brake-rattle-solution-upgrade-304512.html