Alt problem

Guest WEB 38

Guest WEB 38

Took the 90 reatta out of storage today and started it for the first time time this year. Not charging also the low light on the ampmeter does not light up when first turning the key on. Is there a fuse to look for or has the Alt took a dump? Thanks Bill

Guest NEMO

Up grade to the Iceberg alt, it has bigger fins on the body to cool faster,larger bearings inside too.

The Reatta uses the large case alternator known as a CS-144. Used in lots of large GM cars, trucks, police cars, etc. Fairly bulletproof. And as noted above, lots of upgrades available as well.

As an aside, I bet it would be near trivial to use the newer AD244 (replaced the CS-144 around Y2K) in its place. Probably just needs a connector swap or adapter cable to go from the old rectangular connector to a newer metripack style.

Guest WEB 38

Put in a new bench tested cs-144 still not charging, Dash gauge shows no charge and volt meter at battery shows no charge. Battery also replaced. Bill

Guest WEB 38

Alt wire has 12 volts. 13 With motor running,putting out 15 amps at idle.checked with induction meter. Problem is volt meter on dash stays in the center will not show charge or discharge also will not show low light when turning on key, will light up when pushing test button. only code is b552h can not find that one in my book. any suggestions any one? Thanks Bill

Sounds like the system is charging the battery. The problem seems to be with it not being indicated by the IPC. Is that correct?

B552 just means the BCM has detected the battery cable being disconnected when you replaced the battery. Doesn't indicate a problem y ou are having.

Guest WEB 38

Yes that looks my problem. Any ideas on were to go next is there a real gauge that can be changed or checked?

Guest Mc_Reatta

B552 is a BCM memory reset indicator. Probably set as a result of changing the battery.

What does BCM Data BD51 Generator Field output show with engine running at idle and at higher RPMs with light load and with high load like headlights and blower motor on high? Shows a percent between 0 and 100%

Guest WEB 38

Thanks Ronnie that will be the next thing I will try, I also have a spare IPC it will be a good time to see if it is any good. Thanks again for the help Bill

90 gauges are designed to stay in the center for a very broad range of values. You have to go into diagnostics to see the actual value. 13v or better means the battery is charging.

Guest WEB 38

I Would not think the gauge should stay in the center with key on and headlights, blower and radio on without the engine running. The manual states the when first turning on the key the low lite should come on before starting. Mine does not. Bill

OK, both 'verts are in the front garage. Black was just driven and stays on midpont with headlights, blower, and ignition on. White has not been driven for a few days and drops one notch with everything on. Neither says "low".

Guest WEB 38

Well I guess you answerd my question, maybe Im to used to the way amp meters act and not volt meters. still does not seem right to me. I Always thought gauges were meant to be a source of information, not act like an idiot light. Thanks Padgett

Check your grounds. There is one at the altenator and two on the bulkhead that mounts the radiator... just in front of the battery. Checking the battery cables is also advised.

Guest WEB 38

Hi Barney, looks like you didnt make to the BOPC show today in Kokomo I was all ready to go untill the Alt problem, I will check the grounds tomorrow.Im sure the cables are all right as I just replaced the Battery. By the way my surgery went well and all tests came back neg. Was nice talking to you last month. Thanks for the advice. Bill

Real gauges tell a lot (why I really like the readouts on the 88), fake gauges like on the 90-91 just give a facade. For instance the temp guage reads straight up from 180 to 201F (why I look at ED04 a lot). Think it was designed so anything in "normal" limits will read 1/2 and you need to deviate pretty far to read abby-nermal.

Keep in mind that the sensors generating those readings are not fine tuned & figure +/- 5% (e.g. 10F at 200F). Have a superstat 180 and reprogrammed fans in black now. On white 'vert and blue coupe this locks between 181F and 183F at 90F ambient. Black is reading 186F-188F under same conditions. I put it down to sender error.

Guest WEB 38

Thanks Padgett For clearafing this. Im thinking my confusion may be related to putting in a new battery and the gauge not fluctuating as did before. I still do not trust the readings.Is there anyway to hook up an aftermarket amp meter without harming the electronics? Thanks Bill