1952 Buick restoration advice needed

arnier

Need some help regarding whether to keep 6 volt system or convert to 12 volt in the 1952 Special 1941D. I am working on a frame off restoration of this model. (don't ask me why it just grew!) The chassis has been powder coated and the engine and transmisssion rebuilt. My helper want's to go to a 12 volt system. I am leaning toward continuing with the six volt system. I have a 1954 parts car so the parts are there for both systems. Any thoughts or advice?

arnier, unless you intend on installing an A/C, or some other user of a lot of 12 volt, I would stay with the 6 volt. I did on my '50 and no regrets. Just remember to use the proper 6 volt battery cables. The ground strap shoukd be 1 inch wide, and the Positive cable should be an 0 or 00 size. This will be about the size of your thumb.

Keep the 6volt system - it works great!

But... put in a Powermaster Powergen 6 volt alternator. It looks exactly like an old Delco generator but gives plenty of amps also at low revs. Use 6 - 12v step-up convertors where needed - you'll have plenty of amps :D

If you change it to 12 volts, you can just write off about one-third to one-half of the potential buyers when you get ready to sell the car--me included. If you change it 12 volts, get ready to replace every single bulb in the car--dash lights as well as exterior lights. If you change to 12 volts, get ready to buy a new radio for it, a new starter for it, a new generator or alternator for it, a different fuel sending unit for it, a different cigarette lighter for it, and on and on.

Just re-read your post, and I guess you have the 12-volt parts already available, but I still wouldn't do it if I were you. A lot of those parts won't interchange from a '54 V-8 to a '52 straight 8.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Guest sconnors

Kept my '50 6 volt when I redid the wiring harness and have no complaints and glad I kept it that way!