Paint on hood side chrome 1940 Buick?

Guest Csteve300

Guest Csteve300

OK guys what color is the paint on the hood side trum/handle? the part that list the series such as Century. Also if some one has a picture of the correct paint /scheme it would be helpful. currently paint is worn off most of the chrome but looks to be white or off-white?

Thanks

Guest Csteve300

Nobody else knows the paint color on the chrome side trim on the hood? Also is it just on the recessed parts?

Thanks

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Billy.

The letters in the stainless belt molding are red. The recess isn't painted. The hubcaps have black writing. This is for the 39. We did the same research 3 years ago!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Andrew Armitage

On my '40 Limited, it's silver (looks like a brushed aluminum color). I'll take some good pictures tomorrow and post them up.

csteve,

On my '40 Limited (90L) the hood release area and "port holes" have a greyish silver color background.

The "beltline" chrome strip that runs along the bottom of the hood and clear back to the trunk area has "chillie pepper red" down in the center groove.

Mike

Guest Andrew Armitage

I took a few photos with and without a flash. These vents are original as far as I know, I don't think they've ever been redone. And I've never seen another '40 Buick of any model that has had anything other than silver in the areas in question.

post-76371-143138565364_thumb.jpg

post-76371-143138565398_thumb.jpg

post-76371-143138565432_thumb.jpg

post-76371-143138565466_thumb.jpg

Andrew,

Just saw the pic's of your 81 above. Can you see any indication that the "beltline" trim molding was ever painted in the center groove ? If so what color. My '40 (90L) was painted chillie pepper red.

My "portholes" look just like yours.

Mike Simpson

Colorado

BCA#45728

AACA#994416

Guest Andrew Armitage
Andrew,

Just saw the pic's of your 81 above. Can you see any indication that the "beltline" trim molding was ever painted in the center groove ? If so what color. My '40 (90L) was painted chillie pepper red.

My "portholes" look just like yours.

Mike Simpson

Colorado

BCA#45728

AACA#994416

I know what you're talking about. My beltline trim is straight brightmetal, no paint. I have seen some 1940's models with the red paint in the center groove. I'm pretty sure that I've seen some original advertising showing the red stripe too. Maybe it was an option? I never really looked into it. I'll ask around to see if I can find a difinitive answer.