Blatant Buick Self Promotion!

1957buickjim

Now at 750!! Way to go Team Buick..hey if Bessie wins, that would mean the Eastwoods Car of the Month would show a Buick all through July, same time as the Nationals! How crazy is that!

Keep up the vote, last day to vote is tomorrow!!!

Hey Guys! 797 here, only need 3 more to reach the mythical 800 mark! Come On and vote!! Just need a few to get there!! Thanks for all your support on this. It is great Team Buick!!!

NC you are the man!! I still am thinking about that presidential run...Mr. Campaign Manager :)

Just a shame you can't vote for President once a day (or more depending on how much thought you put into it. ;)) from your internet connected device for the entire month of June.. Else you'd have it made! :D

just a cryin shame...

Thanks for your vote of confidence NC. I knew I could always count on the North Carolina contingency! Hey, who knows, maybe in the future it will be like voting for American Idol..Maybe you could be one of the new cabinet members..Secretary of Buick :)

I would like to thank everyone who participated in the chicago style voting for "Old Bessie". With all of your kindness and perserverance to voting as often as you could each day, we reached the mythical number of 802 votes!!! We outran the other T by 506 votes!

I knew when I requested the involvment of my fellow Buick brethren, that they would jump to the call. And Jump they did!!! You have made Buick a force to be reckoned with and brought our make to the forefront of the restroration movement. Without your help, the 1957 Buick Special would be another old car.

I personally wish to thank each and everyone of you who helped bring this to fruition. I especially am thankful for NCReatta, who as campaign manager and now Secretary of Buicks, kept the ball rolling to continue to garner the vote. My technology director, Old-tank, who proved that cookies are not just something to eat. Stealthbob, who continually "bumped" the community to keep the thread at the forefront of the forum. MrEarl, who was instrumental in making sure that the voting site was easily accessable to all from the thread and all the others who were responsible for milestone votes (250, 300, 400, 500, 600,700 and the illustrious 800!) Thank you all for your involvement and support of a fellow Buick brother!

Now, the contest is over and the tallying and requirements meeting are underway. I am to be notified by Eastwood when they have arrived at their decision (i.e., crossed the t's and dotted the i's).

When that happens, I will share with you the spoils of this great victory!! I will buy one rattle can of Eastwood paint (satin black) which will just about use up the winnings and each one of you can spray one small object (no bigger than a wiring bracket) as a reward. We will call it the Winning Traveling Paint Can Reward Program. All I will need is your address and I will send it out.

You must take a picture of the part before and after, sign your name to the can with a sharpie and post the before and after pictures on this thread.The first user has to forward it on to the next guy for his part and so on..The last one who uses up the paint has to send the signed can back to me so I can put it on a pedastal and then show it with Old Bessie at the next car meet I attend.

PM me with your addresses and let's see if we can all share in the spoils of this!!

Thank you again for all of your support! It just proves that Team Buick is a force to be reckoned with!!!

Happy Motoring and Restoring!!

Sincerely,

Jim

Guest Rob McDonald

JIM, what a generous and creative way to share your winnings! We've traded mailing addresses before but I'll PM you anyway, for your convenience. Way to go, Old Bessie and friends!

Thanks..I thought the rattle can was a good way of sharing the winnings with everyone that was involved. I am looking forward to sending it on its way soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dan..However, Like Paul Harvey, here's the rest of the story:

I contacted Eastwood yesterday after I saw who they chose as the winner and expressed some serious concern on how they run this contest and what was going on. The person I spoke with Matt Murray, who is in charge of the contest, indicated that the T won based upon "individual, unique page views - it had more than Old Bessie, even though Bessie had more votes" He indicated that he (Eastwood) can see the back end? and tell whether people had been cheating (something about deleting cookies to pad the vote count) and they had real problems with that late last year. So, they were not very sure that Old Bessie did not recieve some "cookie" treatment.

I told him that it wasn't explained very well in the rules and that many of the National BCA members who were called to action would not take to this very nicely, especially in respect to Eastwood. He appreciated my concern and indicated that they would gladly have 2 winners of the month for June - the T for half the month and Old Bessie for half the month to alleviate any issues with this. He even said that he would send me a gift certificate as well.

I thanked him, but I am waiting to pull the trigger to see if and when this happens. I will keep the forum posted. Right now, it seems positive, but the proof positive will be what shows up on the Eastwood website. He did not give me a date when that would be done, but we will see.

You can rest assure that if it doesn't happen, the Forum will be notified about the scruples of the Eastwood company.

And that's the rest of the story........

Guest Rob McDonald

AAW JIM, what a huge disappointment. I'm so sorry how this wonderful experience turned sour. Please don't be so hard on Eastwood, though. I was very nervous when one of our Forum friends quipped that some cheating had occurred, on Old Bessy's behalf. Whether someone connected to the contest saw that note or whether these things can be traced electronically, it did put a bad smell around our champion.

Although I'm certain that those hundreds of votes really came from us Buick boosters, I can understand how Eastwood - and the owner and supporters of that sweet T - could have felt. The sponsor's offer to share the glory and double-up the award is noble and I encourage you to accept it. There will always be a bit of a bitter edge to the memory, though.

Please let's not slight our cookie-maker, either. This danged internet is bristling with complications that few of us completely understand. When a clever trick appears, the natural urge is to try it out but the consequences can be surprising and regrettable. Lesson learned - if it feels like cheating, why bother?

Man.. I apologize if I messed it up with my cookie crunching.. :(

I wasn't aware that it was considered cheating, I thought it was simply a way to get more votes.

Again, I'm sorry if I messed it up.. hope everything works out for the better in the end.

EDIT:

Just a side note however, through cookie crunching, looking back at the posts here, it couldn't have gained us more than 75 votes all together.

Was this "once a day from every internet connected device" thing perhaps what did it?

Not to blame anyone, but 800 votes minus 75 (100 or even 200 votes) is still WAY more than the T ever got. Perhaps individual unique page visits meant that one person could only vote once during that month from one computer.

I'm a little confused...

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

Yep...just hop in O'l Bessie and take the high road on this one.

It is true that they can track all the stats of the votes, not the least of which is votes per IP address. I suspect that they don't really want to get deep into counting "unique" votes so they offered you a compromise....Buick Nation responded, you would have won regardless.

Nice car...that's what it's all about.

Hey guys...no harm done. Still got the vote out, and hopefully still will be the co-champion. It still got alot of Buick buzz for the cars we have, so look at that as a positive. Not being too computer geekish, I wasn't sure what they meant by page views, cause that was the kicker according to Eastwood. Old Bessie didn't have the page views the Model T had was the issue. Guess everybody had to look at the car a few times and have their friends look at it too, not just vote.

I am still going to do the rattle can trophy though! So get ready to get that part out for paint and get your Sharpie ready. I have thought it out and what I am going to do is put a list of everyone who wants to sign it in the box with the can. They sign it, cross their name off and send it to the next person. Once everyone signs it, my name will be the last on the list. Send the signed can back to me. Oh yeah, you have to take a picture of you with the can and your Buick and your painted part and post it on this thread, so be creative! That should be a fun way of everybody getting in the act!

Thanks again eveerybody for their help in this. It was really fun, even if it was kind of a weird turn of events.

As one of my friends who as voting said "Lets have a demolition derby to the end between the two cars and the last one standing wins!" Thought that was a funny one.

I am still going to do the rattle can trophy though! So get ready to get that part out for paint and get your Sharpie ready. I have thought it out and what I am going to do is put a list of everyone who wants to sign it in the box with the can. They sign it, cross their name off and send it to the next person. Once everyone signs it, my name will be the last on the list. Send the signed can back to me. Oh yeah, you have to take a picture of you with the can and your Buick and your painted part and post it on this thread, so be creative! That should be a fun way of everybody getting in the act!

Man.. I gotta find something unique.. something 'Reatta-esque' to paint.. Hmm... :D

As one of my friends who as voting said "Lets have a demolition derby to the end between the two cars and the last one standing wins!" Thought that was a funny one.

Well, between Ol Bessie and the T, I'm putting my money on Flint Iron.. :D:cool:

Oh, and Jim.. I expect that the list of names will also have the addresses beside them?

Once you get the can back Jim, you should have it mounted (like you would a beaver or something - you know, stuffed and all..) and show it as a trophy with your car. :)

Well, I can see the issue being a bit of a mess. Part of it is how the voting occurs...you can actually vote from the main page without opening up the car's page. I initially did open the page each day, but noticed that the "like" option was available on the main page, so to save time, I just did that.

Now, Eastwood, having a significant Internet presence, should be able to either better define the rules for entrants and those voting, and if they want one person one vote, then the closest they are going to be able to come is to set it up so you can only vote once from each device. I know that can be done. Of course, if they went that route, they should also cut off entries at the beginning of the month - late entries could go in the next month...that way, someone who wants to vote can do so at any point in the month without worrying about preferring the late entrants.

I don't think you can mail a rattle can to Canada...just something you'll want to consider.

All good points Derek...

I also only hit the main page once, why read it every time? I also tested the security by wiping the cookies and found that it was wide open.

One has to be careful when hosting "Contests" like this, to my knowledge there was no rules governing the voting process. Some contests allow a full free for all...vote as often as you like but it is stated so at the outset. Some are very strict and are restrictive to one vote only and employ security measures to ensure that one vote per person rule. This was a very loosely setup contest, there is no real monetary prize so security was not employed. That being said it sounds like they are trying to limit the free for all type voting and keep it just about the unique page views.

Bahhh, its muck all on a big ship...Bessie would have won regardless.

Also Derek is correct about the mailing of Rattle cans across the boarder...been there tried that! I was trying to buy the one and only true and perfect colour of engine paint from the one and only supplier who has been deemed to be the one and only holder of this mythical one and only correct engine paint. :rolleyes:

* Eastwood will select the winner each month - taking into consideration number of "likes"' date=' number of page views and number of comments each vehicle has earned

* You may vote for as many cars as you would like during each visit, but [b']only one vote per car per day

I think, if just by this, Bessie won. Like I said before, cookie crunching couldn't have gotten us more than 75 votes or so, and even if it had ben more.. 200 to over 800.. we won. Straight and fair.

The rules say nothing about "Independent Page Views", it just says "Page Views".

And there's nothing anywhere about cookies.. and that deleting them is against the rules.

I dont know.. just seems a littel smelly.. :(

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

NC..I think you might have something there..but hey, I don't make up the rules as I go along. As Derek said, I think that the post of late entrants, I think that entrants after the 10th or 15th of the month should go to the next months voting. But hey, I don't make up the rules as I go along either.

As for the shipment to Canadia ( :) a little humor there)...I have given it some thought. What if I ship the can to all the US guys, the last one ships it to me, I gingerly take the label off the can, mail the label to the Canadian fella's (you will have to use your own paint on the part...sorry guys) BUT you will have to have the label in the picture with you and your car. When the final Canadian is done with it, he can mail it back to me.

I will make a mount for it, like a trophy ( I am quite sure that I could buy an old trophy on ebay- and modify it) and then display it with Old Bessie. I will get a picture of the trophy, me and Old Bessie to post after I get everything back.

Interesting how the rules of the game are very fluid and can change at any minute..Oh well.

As for the demolition derby...My money is on the Flint Iron as well. I think there would only be one hit, and I can rub out the paint mark on the chrome of the bumper afterward. :D

Sounds like a good idea...

Also it is nice to see that Eastwoods is not being thrown under the buss on all this. It is supposed to be all in good fun and all about the hobby and the cars. In true Buick fashion Jim, you are making it all exactly just that...FUN!

Go Team Buick!

Jim and others

If you send it you will have to put a ORM-D label ("Other Regulated Materials-Domestic.") on it and ship ground only since priority mail and flat rate are usually by air. This also means a possible trip to the post office standing in line behind the fat lady(?) in flip-flops and the screaming kids. A good idea but a real pain.

As to the voting I never used cooking control...I used multiple computers with multiple operating systems with multiple browsers (don't ask, it is another disease) that will still show one IP-address.

Willie