Snubber Shock Rebuilding

Guest Tom Timmins

Guest Tom Timmins

Can anyone recommend a rebuilder for snubber shocks. I sent 4 to a company in California called Five Points 14 months ago and they kept promising that would be done in two weeks. They now tell me they will send the disaasembled shocks back to me. The employee who repairs them quit.

Perhaps Apple Hydraulics can help? Apple Hydraulics

Many people here have had good results with them, and they specialize in antique car shock absorbers, although I'm not familiar with the ones you mention--what are they off of? Apple does lever type shocks.

Along with Owen_Dyneto I am wondering if you have "snubbers" or hydraulic "shock absorbers". I have had some experience with Gabriel snubbers and believe that their "refurbishment" is not beyond anyone with even basic mechanical ability.

Exactly what do you have. Some photographs may help.

oldcar

I've taken my Gabriel Snubbers apart from my 1928 and they are not that complicated. You can get the snubber material from Restoratio Supply in California and you can get the brass metal that goes into the snubbers from a online company. They will even cut it to size for you if you don't want to do it yourself. Then all you need is a riviter and some copper rivets.

• 7 months later...

I have disassembled the Gabriel snubber shock absorbers on the front axle of my 1922 Studebaker EK. The fabric belts are unbroken and not worn through and I hope to reuse them. The brass anti-friction strips are worn and broken in both snubbers and consist of at least three pieces in each snubber. I think that the original may have only had two, one long brass strip attached centrally and the other end unattached, and a second brass strip that is riveted to the belt. I think that the long strip may have broken into two pieces in my snubbers. I would like to confirm the original design before trying to replicate it. Let me know if you have knowledge of the original design. Thanks

Tom