Locating a part

Guest Foggy norm

Guest Foggy norm

Trying to locate a steering knuckle for a 41, 110. The casting part # 358807 left side(driver). I do not need the spindle. I'm not a big fan of Max or Kant.

Guest Foggy norm

Thanks guy's! In today's jargon, what is pictured by West would be called spindle's. Packard called them knuckle's. The part I'm trying to locate is the knuckle support, it looks like a dog bone with an arm in the middle which holds the knuckle. It's mounted at the top to the shock and the bottom to the lower control arm.

The knuckle/spindle is smaller on the 110 than the 120, so I imagine they may be even larger on the 160 & 180.

Guest Foggy norm

thanks HH56, The assembly is the Support and the Knuckle/Spindle joined with the King pin. The knuckle support, casting no. 358807, is what I'm inquiring about. You are correct about 15.514, however, what I've read, there is no separation in the descriptions of the knuckle support and the knuckle. In one case I believe it's also called the Support Pin.

Of course this is not the part (support pin/ spindle/knuckle) I'm looking for. The parts list doesn't even identify the knuckle/spindle anywhere, allthough it has its own individual casting no#.

Guest Foggy norm

Allow me to back-up, I'm getting sooo confused, and I'm writing this!

Looking for part #358807, knuckle support...without the knuckle/spindle.

how's that!

Think the knuckle/spindle assy is 15.400. Cut off in that pict above but is third arrow from bottom visible on right.

Do have a piture of the part you need? or is missing completely.

Guest Foggy norm

Hallelujah!, bingo!, nailed it! That's the part West. Dave mentioned he may have the part, finger's crossed?

I've heard horror storie's about dis-assembling these item's, any hint's?

Also, How difficult is ti to find the rubber part's?, Steele doesn't have everything.

Shouldn't be any horror stories here. The earlier cars had needle bearings, which I guess were not fun to deal with, but the only thing I had trouble with in removing the King Pin was not knowing that the the lock pin bores are tapered, and are removed through the back on the right side of the car (passenger side) and through the front on the left side. I learned this only after trying to send the pin out the wrong direction, then realized that the assembly is the same on both sides, just swapped.

Rubber parts I got were from Kanter, but he may have gotten them from Steele. ???

Oh. Now that I think of it, I did have a problem removing the knuckle support from the shock absorber. The metal bushing was fused to the support. I ended up having to cut the pin, and got a new pin, bushing and rubber bushing from Kanter.

See my "how-to" thread on all this:

Packard Motor Car Information - Peterson's 1940 Packard [Packard Forums - Project Blogs]

• 4 weeks later...