Vapor Lock Solved

Guest billmeyer

Guest billmeyer

Last Fall, I installed an Airtex E8011 6 volt electric fuel pump in my 1950 Dodge with the hope that it would resolve my recurring vapor lock problem. It has passed every test with flying colors! I installed the pump near the fuel tank and wired it to the ignition through an "on-off" switch mounted underneath the dash. Before I key the starter, I turn the ignition on, flip the fuel pump switch to on, let it run for 5 seconds or so and then activate the starter. As soon as the engine fires, I turn off the electric fuel pump switch. I was in a parade this weekend and the temp hit 98. Engine was hot when I turned it off after lining up and the car sat for about 20 minutes until the parade started. Started right up when needed! Never would have done this before adding the Airtex! Over the winter, when the car might sit in the garage for weeks without running, the Airtex also made it easy to start the engine. Just wanted to let the readers know that this was a simple (and cheap) solution to a very vexing problem. Thanks to those who previously recommended the Airtex to me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 37 Royal

I had that sort of problem many years ago and have solved it by wrapping tin foil around the fuel line,clamping clothes pins on the line spacing them 3/4" apart,and putting a half of a grapefruit on top of the fuel pump but not all at the same time,just a few cures that have worked. If you have your doubts give it a try,I see temps here in the central Calif. in the summer up to 107. My old cars,trucks did good doing these home remedies,there are other ways but not as kool as the way I have learned over the yrs from others. Dennis

Guest cattmann

Good info .I am experiencing this issue with my 41 Chrysler royal.I never know whether or not to hold it to the floor or pump the gas when it is hot

Bill, on my 8-cylinder Pierces I use a Holley #12-804 pressure regulator, which I find far more accurate and reliable than the cheap detent-type regulators. I also use NAPA p/n P4259 6-V electric pumps made by Carter which are cheaper (~$60) than I've been able to find either Carter or Airtex pumps. The vanes are retracted when the pump is not running and permit some flow, but that may not be enough for some heavy cars with high fuel demand, so you may need to add a bypass loop with a check valve to permit the factory pump to draw directly from the tank. The check valve prevents the electric pump from taking the path of least resistance to its own inlet.

• 1 month later...
Guest billmeyer

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you. No pressure regulator is needed with this pump. It operates at about 3 psi. Even if you forget to turn it off, no problem. However, I do recommend the "on-off" switch because, if in an accident, the pump continues to work as long as there is power. Could be a fire hazard under this scenario. So be safe and run the wiring to the ignition switch through an "on-off" switch.

Bill