***Specially Constructed Vehicle*** build questions in NC

Guest altoids

Guest altoids

In the definitions of Specially Constructed Vehicles > Custom Built Vehicle it states:

A vehicle, including motorcycles, reconstructed or assembled by a nonmanufacturer from new or used parts that has an exterior that does not replicate or resemble any other manufactured vehicle. Yada yada.....

My question is when its being titled as a "Custom Built Vehicle" since I'm the one who assembled/pieced/built the vehicle, I am the "nonmanufacturer" by the definitions, correct (the maker/builder of the vehicle)? Not Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, so on & so forth.

Reason I ask this is because I'm trying to get my build inspected by DMV & I told him that I'm the nonmanufacturer that reconstructed/assembled this vehicle. His response was "uh, it has to be titled under the manufacturers make, not you". Am I not correct in my thinking that since I reconstructed/assembled said vehicle that it should be titled as "Specially Constructed Vehicle" & the make be "Custom Built" with the year built being "2011"?

I have all my receipts, paper work/documentation (NC titles for the two vehicles I had to use for build have been in my name for awhile) & pictures from beginning to end by the way.

Let me know please if I am wrong here? Thanks.

Guest altoids

You are correct. It is not an antique (I know AACA, duh), but I thought if any forum would have a clue it would be this one.

I'm lost here. I'm not quite sure what your question/problem is. Most people, when building a vehicle from parts and multiple vehicles will do just about anything to keep from getting the dreaded Specially Constructed Vehicle stigma, yet you seem (to me) to want just that. The SCV is harder to sell and harder to insure.

If the vehicle is totally custom assembled with a hand-built body and doesn't resemble an existing car (an example of the latter would be a street rod that uses a commercially available 32 Ford body), then most states will register it by the manufacturer of the major component - usually the engine. I'm guessing you didn't make THAT yourself, did you?

I have communicated with the original poster. The vehicle is basically an extended jeep on a ford truck chassis. I have given him my best advice on how to deal with NC DMV on his vehicle. It does not appear that it will be a Specially Constructed Vehicle under NC law.

Guest altoids

I'll post back end result when I get it all sorted out with DMV. Supposedly two weeks from last Thursday:rolleyes:???

I actually would rather have the *Specially Constructed Vehicle* on the title & make as *Custom Built* for my own reasons. I'll update thread later on. I send Thank's to all that helped thru PM's on the forum, nice community.

Guest altoids
If the vehicle is totally custom assembled with a hand-built body and doesn't resemble an existing car (an example of the latter would be a street rod that uses a commercially available 32 Ford body), then most states will register it by the manufacturer of the major component - usually the engine. I'm guessing you didn't make THAT yourself, did you?

And no Joe, I did not make the engine:D.

Guest Dick Whittington
I'm lost here. I'm not quite sure what your question/problem is. Most people, when building a vehicle from parts and multiple vehicles will do just about anything to keep from getting the dreaded Specially Constructed Vehicle stigma, yet you seem (to me) to want just that. The SCV is harder to sell and harder to insure.

In NC, you do not have much of a choice. A few people playing games messed things up for everyone else.