Sign in to follow this  
Vintage_barry

57 Buick dashboard chrome removal

I'm restoring a 57 Special and while I was removing the chrome pieces from the dash, I couldn't figure out how to remove the 2 chrome rings that house the light switches. They will turn very slightly but that's it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Barry

Hi. The light switch chrome ring is removed by removing the light switch, which has a screw type fastener in the center holding it in. Once the light switch is removed, the bezel should pop off with a little pressure / help from a very small screw driver at the underside. Same goes with the heater bezel, but you have to remove the knob, which is attached with a very small set allen head set screw. The center sections (black) also will come out of the chrome bezel with a little gentle force. All of those parts are press fit together and will reassemble in the reverse manner. Hope this helps.

Jim

Bulldog, went to the link and the site and there was nothing there except pic's of tri five chevy's..was hoping to see the 57 Buick. Is there another site that he has them posted at? Let me know. Thanks.

Bulldog, went to the link and the site and there was nothing there except pic's of tri five chevy's..was hoping to see the 57 Buick. Is there another site that he has them posted at? Let me know. Thanks.

Hello Jim,

Seems like you've given the advice needed. I'm glad that you have. I have no experience with '57.

It seems jack has removed the pictures from the links. However beginning with; post #37, he has started posting the pictures in the thread. If, however,for one that is not a member of V8Buick; one cannot view posted pics. There is no charge to join the V8Buick site. So, it is well worth joining, just to see the work on that particular '57

Pictures of 1957 Buick Special Riviera 2 Dr Hdtp - V8Buick.com

Bulldog, Thanks for the reply. I did in fact join up on the V8Buick site. Saw a number of my ususal 1957 Buick suspects on there and figured if it is good enough for them, heck, it is probably good enough for me! I was kind of dissapointed that Jack removed the pic from his website, but I did get to see the ones that were on the thread. Looks pretty familiar to me as well! :D Thanks for putting this up on the forum. It is really appreciated!

gee-day from down under i have a buick 57 roadmaster 75, i have the same question for the aircon control knob, i dont wont to break it i have removed the round knob with the allen key , no prob and the centre bronze shaft guild, but not sure how the thumb & finger dial is removed thanks anyone Mark.J from AU

hello again anyone out there ever removed a 57 buick roadmaster air con switch / dial/ knob i am trying to disassemble a purchased unit to install in my car any help thanks Mark.J  

Mark, usually there is either a set screw that can be removed with a small allen wrench, or a spring clip that needs a small screw driver to press on it or remove. The set screw would be on the underside, and the spring clip on the back of the knob. At least with the Heater knob, it is a set screw. With the radio knobs and accessory knobs, it is a spring clip. Try posting some photos of what you are trying to remove from various angles. that might jog someones memory on how they did it.

MARK, as Jim says, some photos would help jog some memories. I pulled the air conditioning system out of a parts car and installed it in my Roadmaster. However, that was 25 years ago and I can't tell you whether the knobs were held in by Allen screws, spring clips, or pixie dust. I'll try to remember to have a look tomorrow.

VINTAGE_BARRY, I think BuickJim gave you the correct answer. Thanks how I remember these things coming apart - the knobs themselves hold the trim in place.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

thanks guys i will transfer some photos from my phone, at this stage i have used releasing fluid ( a long soak ) i have a feeling the dial shaft might slide off, again i am applling too much force, we all know how rare this stuff is. also i am missing a small switch on the dash crash pad before the air con slide switch next to the dash pad light, any idea what that operates and what am i missing thanks guys