another opinion on a 65 Riviera

whitewatersky

hi all, Andrew here, member of the ROA. I'm writing from Australia as I am considering buying this vehicle in San Gabriel California

Buick : Riviera | eBay

1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport

i've been told by the current owner it had an engine block replacement (with an LX block) due to a cracked block (originally an LX) in the 80s when it was still owned by the original owners (who were friends of Dick Sweeney and Dick confirmed the engine replacement occurred back then)

just wondering if anyone knows of this Riv. last owner was named Mr. Yoshida.

thought i'd post before buying after seeing this thread:

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/opinions-1965-gs-293284.html

I have been looking for some time and wanna get on with it! is there anyone in LA who cold take a peek at it?

sorry to post a first message like this, but i'm looking forward to getting my own Riv soon and having more to say here!

thanks

Andrew

hi all, Andrew here, member of the ROA. I'm writing from Australia as I am considering buying this vehicle in San Gabriel California

i've been told by the current owner it had an engine block replacement (with an LX block) due to a cracked block (originally an LX) in the 80s when it was still owned by the original owners (who were friends of Dick Sweeney and Dick confirmed the engine replacement occurred back then)

I have been looking for some time and wanna get on with it! is there anyone in LA who cold take a peek at it?

sorry to post a first message like this, but i'm looking forward to getting my own Riv soon and having more to say here!

thanks

Andrew

I wouldn't worry about a the replaced motor so long as it has the LX code. That should not impact the car's value.

If the car is available, then you should buy it. Looks like a nice car.

I wouldn't worry about a the replaced motor so long as it has the LX code. That should not impact the car's value.

If the car is available, then you should buy it. Looks like a nice car.

I disagree. A numbers matching car will bring more than a non numbers car anyday of the week, it absolutely impacts the value.

Previous owner was Barry Yoshida, if I recall correctly. I spoke with him several times when he had the car for sale for $20k obo and even had it inspected by another board member here. Nice car, but to be real nice needed to be repainted and it would still be non numbers matching. This gentleman (George) bought it from him. Doesn't look like he has done anything to it other than raise the price. He is still using some of Barry's pictures.

Barry didn't know a whole lot about it, I had walk him through where to check the numbers for the engine. I think he bought it from a friend of his who in turn had bought it from Dick's friend.

Edited by cjp69 (see edit history)

thanks for the feedback guys. yep, it was Barry Yoshida's.

i see whatcha mean. on the one hand, makes me think if i'm gonna spend in this price range, why not wait for a matching # GS...

but then again, how much MORE would it be... especially if the Aussie dollar goes to #%&! again while i am waiting for one, then this would one seem like a bargain. 12 months ago, this car would be 40,000 aussie dollars. now it's better than parity with the USD but after fees, pretty much parity...

i'm not hung up on getting a GS. moreso a car that i dont need to spend $ on.

following on from your points, so you reckon at this price it has a hefty (or unreasonable) "GS" premium attached?

albeit annoying if the dude is just loading the price since buying from Barry Yoshida with no extra improvements, that's the luck of the draw, i spose... good luck to him... i shoulda noticed it then...

if a ripoff at mid to hi 20s... thats something i should think about...

Edited by whitewatersky (see edit history)

I still remember buying my 1964 Riviera 32 years ago. I had know about the car for at least a year and always figured it would be there when I wanted it.

Then one Saturday morning the owner told me he was going to list it in a collector car auction that was coming to a city near me. I had a panic attack!!!

The banks were closed. The car might go away forever. I had to have it. It was the only car in the world for me at that time. My breath was short and I couldn't stand up right.

I took delivery of it on Tuesday afternoon.

I have bought many cars since then and I avoid the objective purchases for collector cars and pretty much my daily drivers as well.

It might just be me, but if you can take the time to objectively post questions about this purchase maybe it is not the car of your dreams. If the juices aren't flowing and your breath short worrying about someone else buying it.......... what will happen when the car that really does it for you shows up, and you have this one?

following on from your points, so you reckon at this price it has a hefty (or unreasonable) "GS" premium attached?

albeit annoying if the dude is just loading the price since buying from Barry Yoshida with no extra improvements, that's the luck of the draw, i spose... good luck to him... i shoulda noticed it then...

if a ripoff at mid to hi 20s... thats something i should think about...

I think it has a hefty premium attached (albeit in part becuase I bought a nicer numbers matching car for less than the asking price of this one and I also know what George paid for it), but I would consider that a "sellers" premium more than a GS premium. The GS premium is what got the price out of the teens.

You can find nice non numbers LX powered Rivs in the mid- high teens / low twenties, that seems to be about market for them. Nice numbers matching cars from the low twenties and up. I looked at a couple of Frame off cars in the low to mid thirties when I was shopping. I have seen non LX GS's in the low - mid teens. Just depends on what you want.

Real nice non GS's in the low teens and up. You have a strong dollar now, take advantage of it! But I would have to guess that with shipping and other fees, you still have to be careful not to get buried in the wrong car if you ever want to sell it again.

I agree with what Flattop says. And I would also add that there is a reason this car has been for sale for a month or two, it is overpriced. When Barry listed it, I was all over it the first day and had someone out to inspect it as soon as I could. A few issues were turned up and I asked Barry to send me pics of them so I could make a decision. The next day he sold to a local buyer. Would I have bought it? Probably yes at $20k, as I really wanted one and was tired of searching. Did I do better by waiting? Yes again.

But, even with the second one, I was on it the first day and had it inspected in a few days. Sweaty palms, fast heartbeat, etc. If you have been looking for a while, you know when the right one comes up. Of course, it still needs to have the "right" price.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Guest Kingoftheroad

If you have to talk yourself into buying a car, chances are its not a good deal.

Wait for it, when you least expect it, a great deal will present itself.

I bought my last few cars when I wasn't even looking. I stumble upon my Riv just driving around.

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

really appreciate your advice! i know whatcha mean about the "feel".

I found I have been talking myself into the Silver as well, to be honest. And if it needs paint, I don't wanna commit myself to that kind of outlay. I'd rather spend the extra money to have a car that has been done up RIGHT (including paint), versus the GS premium.

I'm considering this car as well...

1965 Buick Riviera

it too has been on there a while. for the same reasons maybe...?

anyone else had a look at this one near Seattle?

I'm not familiar with exactly where you live, but you might want to consider a car with airconditioning. Non a/c cars are okay for where this car is located, but it might not be for you.

You might also want to check the guys credibility on his Riviera knowledge. All 401's (1959 - 1966) are rated at 325 hp and 445 lb. ft. of torque, not what he quoted. A "GS rear end?" GS cars came equipped with the 3.42 gear ratio if not specified otherwise, but there was no "GS rear end."

Ed

OK WW: At 24K that black 65 Riv is a bargain in perhaps 35-40 years from now. With out even microscopically examining the pictures I can see all the a/c stuff is missing as well as the fact that it has 63 Riv seats. The carb and wheels have been replaced, antenna is not present (gotta have tunes, right?) and that's enough for now. I wonder if this car's owner is in financial trouble with his Shy??? Mitch

It's morning here and I just took a second look at the black '65. I am pretty sure the engine compartment picture was taken when the right front fender was off the car. And the car might be yellow or white.

My two cents on the black one. Look at the shiny paint don't look close at the car is what's up. More cons, heater core is bypassed and custum painters tape around the master cylinder,(what?)

Pass!!

Joey #12735

PS. Like everyone said, follow your gut. I thought I missed on a few good buys-cars but fell into the one I have now by accident. Had everything I wanted at a decent price. Just right time right place. It's out there, can you feel it?

Edited by RivVrgn (see edit history)

WW et al,

If you type Riviera in the filter on the Jaxed Mash site it will eliminate all of the other models so you won't have to sift through them. There's actually "Buick Riviera" on the drag down menu that you can filter by year as well.

Ed

I disagree. A numbers matching car will bring more than a non numbers car anyday of the week, it absolutely impacts the value.

Previous owner was Barry Yoshida, if I recall correctly. I spoke with him several times when he had the car for sale for $20k obo and even had it inspected by another board member here. Nice car, but to be real nice needed to be repainted and it would still be non numbers matching. This gentleman (George) bought it from him. Doesn't look like he has done anything to it other than raise the price. He is still using some of Barry's pictures.

Barry didn't know a whole lot about it, I had walk him through where to check the numbers for the engine. I think he bought it from a friend of his who in turn had bought it from Dick's friend.

Why do you think it impacts the value? The impact should be minimal. So long as the package is complete that is what is most important. The GS is an option, not a separate model to be identified by the VIN. If the package is complete, condition, options and buyer preferences will drive the value. A particular car is not less of a GS just because its motor was replaced with another LX block, is it? Of course not.

My opinion is that some folks take this number matching thing too far. Is it nice to have? Sure. Necessary for these cars? I dont think so.

My $.02:

Like it or not, numbers-matching is a big deal WRT the 65GS. Without other documentation such as a build sheet or original sales invoice, a non-matching engine puts a cloud over the question of original vs clone.

I don't think most admirers and buyers of these cars view the GS as just another option like AM/FM radio or whitewalls--the GS package changes the whole nature of the car.

Part of the mystique is scarcity, and there is a premium placed on originality. Very similar situation to the 64-65 GTO's, except the Pontiac guys are fortunate to have PHS to authenticate their cars.

John

If you're looking for scarcity, you should find a '65 with the 425 that's not a Gran Sport. Fewer of these cars were made (2,311) than Gran Sports (3,354.) Or even more rare, how about one of the 454 Super Wildcat optioned '65 Rivieras that were not Gran Sports.

Question. Are you buying this car to enjoy, or just be able to say "I have a numbers matching car." ??

If you think you can sell it when the time comes and someone will pay you what you think it's worth, then buy it. If you think no one else will want it because it's not a numbers matching car, then you should walk away.

thanks

Andrew

Andrew,

In his latest Craigslist ad, he has lowered his price to best cash offer over $20k. NOW you might want to reconsider. With your strong dollar, $20k would be a good price in my opinion. Get close ups any paint wear/chipping. As I recall it was on the trunk or the panel between the trunk and rear window.

This car is a GS . I knew the original owner , I sold him the LX block when his original block was cracked . It is rust free and never messed with under the dash . An original GS with a clean history . It belonged to Jim Schmidt of San Diego , always a southern calif. car and I sold it for Jim to Mr. Yoshida - end of story .