Help needed in locating piston rings

Guest virgilmule

Guest virgilmule

I am in the process of rebuilding the engine in my 1930 Marmon 8-79. I cannot find a source for new or NOS compression and oil rings, which presents quite a problem! I just contacted Egge Machining Company - who I assumed would be the answer to my problems - and they cannot help me.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Jim

(I have also posted this on the Marmon Forum.)

Two thoughts occur to me. (1) Do I assume your problem is not with the diameter but with the ring width or depth? If so, just cut the grooves to accomodate the next wider or deeper ring you can source. (2) There is (was?) a place, I believe on the West Coast, that claimed to have rings for everything from 1" bore to 8" bore, in thousands of configurations. If I can find their business card I'll edit this or repost, but you might try Googling for piston rings and see what comes up.

Found it! Paul Weaver's Garage, 680 Sylvan Way, Bremerton WA 98310. (360)-373-7870. He claims rings from 1" to 7" for all engines 1980 and back. If you're successful, please come back and let us know.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Guest noncompos

You can also check with Dave Reed, Otto Engine Works (pistonrings.net), who has an excellent reputation among collectors/restorers of antique/obsolete Ag/Ind'l/Const engine powered eqpmt, and has been mentioned here as well. Good luck.

Guest virgilmule

I found a GREAT machinist in the area that has solved most, if not all, of my problems. By the way - he gets his pistons from Hastings.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Jim