1909 Brush Runabout

Guest TBSS110

Guest TBSS110

Well, I've got a 1909 Brush Runabout. runs and drives, reupholstered seats, lots of cool stuff, Ive got the side marker lights and the tail light, but am still looking for the head lamps. Also, I still need to rebuild the Magneto Box (anybody know someone who rebuilds them??)

It's has a model T carb on it, instead of what I think was called a 6 ball carb, because apparently the model t one is more efficient, I'm also looking for the original carb if anyone can find one.

So basically lots of cleaning and small stuff, only major thing is I need is to find someone in the western Michigan region that can restore my radiator for me, she's pretty well banged up and I really want to fix it up nice. Any tips or help is much appreciated

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

166490_1739278412025_1540594504_31791080_4627215_n.jpg

That is a very interesting car, TBSS. Is it an older restoration or a museum car? It certainly is well preserved. You are in the right place to get your answers here. You will find people with various backgrounds who will be more than glad to help. Keep us posted.

Welcome TBSS. Your Brush looks very well preserved. I also own a Brush ('11), and my first question is do you belong to the Brush Owners Association? They publish "The Brush Runabout" twice a year and the 300 or so members contribute valuable info on all models. I am sure that your questions could be answered by the group. They also have reprints of original Brush literature. Brush started out with their own carb in 07 and 08, but I believe that 09 and later may have used the Kingston 5-ball (verify). I have seen many different makes of lights also. Period correctness is the key. Good luck and post progress.

Skip in MN.

Welcome aboard. That is a great looking car, glad to here you are bringing it back to life. I'm afraid I cannot be of any direct help to you with your questions but that will not be a problem with all the experience on this forum.

I do have a question, I see that car uses what appear to be coil springs in the front, are they original to the Brush?

TexRiv 63. The Brush was the first car to use coil springs all around. The springs were not under compression however. There is a shaft that attaches to the axels and it runs through the spring attaches to the top. When you hit a pothole the spring grows and is pulled back to the normal position. Hope that helps.

Skip in MN.

• 1 year later...

Good day!

I was just skimming through the forum and noticed your comments. There is a fellow named Bill who owns Vintage Motors in Waterford Mi. who collects Brush's.(248-738-8800) Additionally , I have taken my Zephyr radiator to another Bill, at Detroit radiator, who has been in business for 35 plus years and came highly recommended by two prominent restoration facilities. 586-757-6530.

Good Luck!!

Robert